Slice seeding dog piss damage

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Got a new customer for fert/weed control. Has an apprx 2k sq ft section of his back lawn that is pretty dog-pissed up. He has 3 big labs taking leaks back there. Claims to want a really nice lawn (I'm thinking as he speaks "yeah righ bud, get rid of those dogs and we'll get you a nicer lawn). At any rate wants the damaged section renovated. Told him to cut off all that piss sod and re-install, but will be expensive. I could also lay some compost back there and power seed into it with my Stinger seeder, less expensive.

Here's my deal....is this something I should take a hard pass on? Or just offer zero guarantee?
Should I be applying some charcoal to neutralize the piss if I do try to seed this? Or again, run, not walk, away?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
My idea--get him to accept an overseeding about once per month. Power seed or just add a seed and soil mixture to each spot (or both).
Resod large spots.
Find a perennial rye that is rated high for traffic tolerance.
Find a perennial rye that has a high level of self-repair with rhizomes. Charge extra.
Find one of the new perennial rye varieties that is salt tolerant. Charge extra.
Maybe double the usual amount of seed to be sure it is dense. Maybe mixed with topsoil. Charge extra.
Topdress with double coverage of Milorganite. Charge extra.
Add irrigation. Use a digital water timer, if he will not go for a full system. Maybe 5 minutes every morning and night? Or three minutes morning, noon and night.
If he starts complaining about the cost--convince him that you are an experienced expert--and--that he cannot get your secret formula anywhere else.

Add charcoal--sure why not?

Add grass pavers if needed.

Last edited:

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Dont know the answer , i tell people to get the cranberry pill from the pet store they may help i makes the dog drink more so there piss is not so strong. I wonder if the dogs can be trained to piss in one spot and make it a rubber mulch square for that purpose. or try one of the liquid aeration products to get the piss to move down quicker.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Dont know the answer , i tell people to get the cranberry pill from the pet store they may help i makes the dog drink more so there piss is not so strong. I wonder if the dogs can be trained to piss in one spot and make it a rubber mulch square for that purpose. or try one of the liquid aeration products to get the piss to move down quicker.
Im sure there may be some remedies for the homeowner's end of things regarding their mutts. What drives me crazy is when they want their lawn fixed but continue to let them piss the area full, killing it off again. Then wonder why grass isn't surviving there.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Bronze Member
i tell people to get the cranberry pill from the pet store they may help i makes the dog drink more so there piss is not so strong.
The last thing I want are my dogs having to go out more often and or having an accident when I'm not home. :nono:

I wonder if the dogs can be trained to piss in one spot
We have a fenced in area for the dogs. One of them always lifts it on the chain link. It's like roundup and saves on trimming. :D

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
Biggest thing that homeowner can do is water that lawn extremely well. No matter what you do, if they aren't properly watering there lawn, to include extra watering due to 3 dogs, I don't think it will truly be successful.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Good luck DAQ!
Also consider the grasses suited for high traffic like stadium grass. Football grass.

And if you want to add zoysia or Bermuda (as seed or sod)--it is very dense and tough--however--it will be dormant and brown 6 months of the year. You would need to overseed every fall. They will be happy to pay extra for that--if they really want to keep the dogs.

Possibly they will need a trench so that they can bury the waste every day. Buy a new roll of sod--or peel back the sod--put soil on a plastic sheet or in a bucket--add waste and next day the same, only 24 inches further west.
Dog owners will have experience in this--not me.

Or...fence the yard into two sections...alternate, odd number days on the left--even number, dogs go on the right.
Lets hear your methods and ideas, guys.

Last edited:

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
I would push artificial turf install, I have a few clients that have it solely where the dogs pees, works great. Three big dogs is a losing battle.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
This needs experimentation.
Is anyone interested in trying a favorite method of dog spot repair? Include before and after pictures. Specify what kind of seed. Label the spots with a number.

Now that I think about it--my daughter has a dog. Thinking...

On second thought--online sites--there are many ideas and products. Still reading...