• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Slice Seeding Vs Aeration and Broadcasting Seed

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I am asking this question on behalf of my (my parents) lawn, however I am a professional and I will be doing. Moderators feel free to change to homeowner assistance if necessary.

On to the question, I am wanting to redo our lawn of weeds. If I am wanting to plant grass to give us a real lawn next year what method of seeding would be more effective, A power slice seeder or Plug aeration followed by broadcast spreading seed?

I also have some other questions. If I am wanting a durable low maintenance grass that won’t require constant watering. I want to be able to stripe it too. What type of grass do you recommend?

What other products will I need to keep the grass somewhat weed free an healthy. My mom is not a fan of chemicals and herbicides and would like to keep it as natural as possible.

Let me know what y’all thoughts are on this. We are in middle TN.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
You may be in a bit of a Catch 22 based on the desires listed. If the lawn is mostly weeds it is best to kill it off and start over. If you want fescue it is almost imperative to use chemicals. Fescue needs a good bit of fertilizer, gets diseases and usually requires chemicals for weed control at least for the first year or two until well established.

As an alternative, consider zoysia plugs sometime next summer. Zoysia has its own set of issues but once fully established needs less chemicals, less watering and usually less mowing.

Good luck.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can only speak regarding cool season turf, but if the turf is thin I would core aerate 2-3 times and then slit seed in 2 different directions at a 8-10lb/1000 rate of TTTF. I only core aerate and broadcast seed if I am just maintaining or slightly improving density

OP
C

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I can only speak regarding cool season turf, but if the turf is thin I would core aerate 2-3 times and then slit seed in 2 different directions at a 8-10lb/1000 rate of TTTF. I only core aerate and broadcast seed if I am just maintaining or slightly improving density
Is aeration even required if the soil isn’t super hard?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I suggest a lateral spread type of tall fescue with 20 percent bluegrass for greater density --which fights weeds, (if fertility and water are adequate.)

I think slit-seeding would work very well.
Hurry, this week is the best time.
Use extra seed if conditions are not ideal. Include some starter fert. One weed spray per year should be enough. I suggest a low odor, low toxicity treatment like triclopyr. Spot spray where possible, because a lot less chemical is needed.
Tenacity is also low toxicity--and only a small few ounces are needed.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I suggest a lateral spread type of tall fescue with 20 percent bluegrass for greater density --which fights weeds, (if fertility and water are adequate.)

Use extra seed if conditions are not ideal. Include some starter fert. One weed spray per year should be enough. I suggest a low odor, low toxicity treatment like triclopyr. Spot spray where possible, because a lot less chemical is needed.

A lot of this is like a different language to me.
Here is what I’ve planned:
1. Scalp the entire lawn
2. Use slice seeder with that fescue mix you recommend, how many lbs per 1000?
3. Water multiple times a day.

What am I missing? What fertilizers do I need? Could you recommend some reasonably priced organic.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
A lot of this is like a different language to me.
Here is what I’ve planned:
1. Scalp the entire lawn
2. Use slice seeder with that fescue mix you recommend, how many lbs per 1000?
3. Water multiple times a day.

What am I missing? What fertilizers do I need? Could you recommend some reasonably priced organic.
How many 1000sq ft is the yard?

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic

Our first frost is usually the end of October.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
You may be in a bit of a Catch 22 based on the desires listed. If the lawn is mostly weeds it is best to kill it off and start over. If you want fescue it is almost imperative to use chemicals. Fescue needs a good bit of fertilizer, gets diseases and usually requires chemicals for weed control at least for the first year or two until well established.

As an alternative, consider zoysia plugs sometime next summer. Zoysia has its own set of issues but once fully established needs less chemicals, less watering and usually less mowing.

Good luck.
Zoysia when mowed right is electric! If our warm season grasses had a longer season I would have planted it years ago. And for the durability. My kids kill my fescue!