Slightly Overfilled Oil Level on Vanguard 37 EFI

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive, Vanguard 37 EFI.

Oil capacity 78-80 oz. according to Vanguard operators manual.

I have always used the Kohler long filter (5205002-S) and it would take 80 oz. of oil to be exactly at top of fill mark on dipstick.

Today I used the Briggs & Stratton short filter (8429291). This is the same as factory filter on mower when new. I added 80 oz. of oil, not thinking about the shorter filter until I had already added oil.

After operating mower and then letting it completely cool, checked oil several times and it's approximately 3/16 - 1/4 inch above full mark on dipstick.

Should I drain some oil to lower level down to full mark or will it hurt engine for the oil level to be slightly above full mark on dipstick.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive, Vanguard 37 EFI.

Oil capacity 78-80 oz. according to Vanguard operators manual.

I have always used the Kohler long filter (5205002-S) and it would take 80 oz. of oil to be exactly at top of fill mark on dipstick.

Today I used the Briggs & Stratton short filter (8429291). This is the same as factory filter on mower when new. I added 80 oz. of oil, not thinking about the shorter filter until I had already added oil.

After operating mower and then letting it completely cool, checked oil several times and it's approximately 3/16 - 1/4 inch above full mark on dipstick.

Should I drain some oil to lower level down to full mark or will it hurt engine for the oil level to be slightly above full mark on dipstick.

Probably won't hurt anything but you will feel better if you drain a little bit. :)

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Drain a small bit out into a clean container, then pour back in what it takes to get to the right spot on the dipstick. Piece of mind is nice to have.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Are you reading it with the dipstick screwed in all the way? The reason I ask is that the procedure is different for different engine manufacturers. For Briggs and Tecumseh engines you screw the dipstick in, whereas for most others you read it with it sitting on top unscrewed.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
You are just fine with that amount of oil. THe dipstick is a general guide, as long as you know what it takes and how much you put in you will be fine.

It would take a lot of oil to cause issues and cause smoking or blow by. In fact I'd say you would have to have nearly an entire extra qt in there before you noticed anything.

Also, I'm not sure what vanguard recommends but on my kawi's they recommending idling the engine for a min or two and then checking the level about 10 minutes after that.

If you are checking a cold engine the reading could very well be different.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Drain a small bit out into a clean container, then pour back in what it takes to get to the right spot on the dipstick. Piece of mind is nice to have.

Piece of mind is nice to have, just knowing that the oil level was above full line was lingering in my mind.

Today I drained 5 oz., now the oil is exactly on full line. With that being said at this point I've added on a total of 75 oz., 80-5 = 75 oz total, manual says, 78-80 oz.

Normally when I change oil I have the front of mower elevated 3-4 inches, yesterday I had it sitting level. Maybe it didn’t drain as much out as it did with elevated front end. This could account for it holding only 75 oz.

Last edited:
OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you reading it with the dipstick screwed in all the way? The reason I ask is that the procedure is different for different engine manufacturers. For Briggs and Tecumseh engines you screw the dipstick in, whereas for most others you read it with it sitting on top unscrewed.

This Vanguard 37 hp. EFI does not have screw in dipstick. It has the long slender push in type.

My previous Kohler 28 EFI had screw in dipstick that was to be read with dipstick not screwed in but just sitting on top thread.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
For practical purposes I usually check my oil level with a cold engine being that I check it before I use it for the first time that day. The 17 Kawi on my walk behind is burning a lot of oil now though so I check it before every use, warm or cold.

Last edited:

Top Forums