Lawn Care Forum banner

Slippery Ramp....

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem with their expanded metal ramps being slippery in wet weather or with wet soles on your shoes?
When the trailer was new the ramp had sand in the paint on the ramp. Worked great until the sandy surface worn down and in some conditions it is very slippery. Not with all soles. If the soles are made of soft rubber the ramp works great. Otherwise with some soles it is as if it were greased.
I have even considered coating the ramp with some of the urethane bedliner paint designed for trucks.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Cleve.

#4 ·
One of the first things that I tell anyone working with me is that the ramp is slippery when wet! The 5 foot ramp isn't as steep as the 4 foot ramp. Just re-paint it with a sand mix every spring.

#6 ·
I have the spray liner in my truck bed and when I'm walking in it it can get very slick as well. I would advise getting the grip tape that skate boarders use on their boards. I went and got some at a local skate shop for my ladder, it works great, just remove backing and stick to surface. If it looses its tread just remove with heat gun and apply new.

#10 ·
There are many different types of expanded metal. I have 2 of them on my gates. On my main rear gate, I have the heavy gauge that is sharp and grippy for the last 9 years and doesnt flex. On my homemade side gate, I must have bought the cheap stuff, because it is thinner and real smooth. Couldnt cut yourself on it anywhere. It is slick all the time and bows in between the ramp braces. The stuff is cheap. Go out and get some good stuff and replace the smooth stuff.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking. My gate is the same way, with the sharper edges. Why couldn't you just get two strips of this and tack them on to your gate at the width of the mower tire tracks?

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies.
At least I know that mine is not the only ramp that gets slick.
And, the equipment has no problem going up or down. It's people that have the problem. Really dangerous at times. I'm getting too old to fall down without getting hurt!
I think I'll try the "roll it, dust it with new sand" as a start.
Thanks again,
Cleve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.