Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pros,

Im getting ready to do an overseed job in the fall and am planning on renting something from a local Home Depot or Lowes.

I took a look at the classen unit at Home Depot today and I had a question about its operation. The seed hopper is in front on the unit.

I havent used one of these before, but how exactly does the unit put the seed into the ground? With the hopper in the front and the blades behind it, it looks like the unit will drop seeds onto the soil/lawn and then the blades will 'push' them into the soil? Or are these units meant to be pulled, with the blades creating a hole for the seeds to drop in?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
You want the seed to drop in the front and the knives to "work it in". I have never used the machine you describe, but I have two other units (Lesco and Turfco) and they work great.

It will work great for you.

Push, don't pull it!

Go in two different directions and if a new lawn also broadcast about 25% on top to get rid of the corn row look.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for response. I didnt see a transport mechanism for picking up the seed and placing it in the slot, so essentially it looks like I just need to be hopefull they fall in the slot.

Right now I am planning on cutting it low, core aerating it, and then running the slit seeder over it in 2 directions. Afterwards I want to topdress it with 1/4-1/2" of compost and then lightly rake it in. The lawn is pretty good but I want to get some better stuff growing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.