• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Slit Seeder

Tony S

LawnSite Member
I need to seed a 4k area. I have removed ALL the old grass, and it is now just bare soil.<br>Should I loosen up the soil with my dethacher and spread seed with a spreader, or should I rent a slit seeder? Will a slit seeder work well on bare soil? Which is the best way for maximum germination?

osc

LawnSite Senior Member
Slit seed is best. Make sure not to rent a seeder that drops seed first and then mashes them into the soil. Some rental guys call this a slit seeder but it's not. If money is the problem then charge more for slit and tell you customer he will get more germination.

AllAround NY

LawnSite Member
I did a job like this last year. I would use a power rake to loosen the soil. Then seed and lime and starter fertilizer. I used a slit seeder last year, It was a lot of hard work and it cost $98.00 a day to rent. The lawn I used it on had thin spots. I dont think it's all its cracked up to be. It really kicked my butt.<p>Jeff