• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Slit seeding and Lime for yard.

lzrj

LawnSite Member
I had my yard finished last summer but due to it being done during a heat wave that lasted for a long time, I could not keep it watered that long. As a result, only patches of grass came in. I was going to rent a slit seeder to get the rest to come in this spring while we are getting rain. The question I have is after I complete the slit seeding, will lime help or damage the changes of seed germination if I put it on right after. I know there are fertilizers out there for new seeding but I have about 1/2 acre I need to do with a very limited budget ($200. $100 for slit seeder, $50 for additional seed (total of 100lbs), and $50 for lime or any other thing that will help). Any suggestions or better ideas.

ACutAbovesiny

LawnSite Senior Member
$50 for lime?? Thats a lot of lime. 100 lbs of seed should cover about half an acre real nice. Use a good fertilizer too to get it going.

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
And what seed are you getting at $50 for 100lbs? Thats pretty dang cheap. Around here, 4 hour rental is like $50, seed I get for 1.25/lb, and I have no idea on the lime. Also, if you are on a budget, 100 lbs of seed might be a little overkill. If you have a half acre with some established grass, somthing like 30-50 lbs might be better. Once you put down soo much seed, you might as well be throwing it away because it really doesnt do any good to put down a ton of seed.

OP
L

lzrj

LawnSite Member
I already have a fifty pound bag of seed but I was going to get another fifty to make sure I have enough seed so I dont run out while renting the slit seeder. Would it be better to use a fertilizer or does lime do anything. I wasnt going to spend fifty dollars on lime along either. Thats with fertilizer and lime if both are needed. i just need some direction before I start tomorrow.