• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Slit seeding - what does it look like?

halldave

LawnSite Member
Hello all.

I'm new to your forum. I recently viewed a lawn that was supposedly "slit seeded". I was under the impression that slit seeding would leave "slits" or "grooves" in the soil. This lawn looked no different than traditional aerating and over-seeding. I looked very closely all over and could see no evidence of anything mechanical but the aerator.

When a lawn is slit seeded, can you tell by looking at it?

Thanks!
Dave

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
you can definitely see slits when it has been don. Even if the soil is sort of dry and loose, there are brushes that go over it (in back of the machine) but you still see the slits.

Doogiegh

LawnSite Senior Member
What's the success of slit seeding? Can it be done here in NJ this weekend and have time for the lawn to germinate and be ok for the winter?

chimmygew

LawnSite Senior Member
I hear a lot of people say that aerating and overseeding is better than using a slit seeder. What are the pros and cons of doing each one?

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Slit seeding brings a much higher germination rate, as dispersal, soil contact, and more optimum depth are reached. By optimum, I mean a shollwer depth. With aeration, the seeds fall down into a hole and get buried at a depth that is too deep for optimum germination due to lack of light. The seeds are much better to be on and near surface (contacting soil) and just below the surface. Indirect sunlight is allowed in promoting germination.

N.IN.lawnsupply

LawnSite Member
We have a Land Pride 48" slit seeder/overseeder. How much would the average person charge for seeding with this? We purchased it for our own use, but would like to generate additional revenue with it.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Here, we get $70 per M for actual renovation.