1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Slitseeding in spring???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CRUZMISL, Apr 16, 2008.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi,
    I have a property that had grub problems from last year (I didn't take care of it last year). Quite a few dead areas and the grass is in a general state of disrepair. They want me to overseed now but I am reluctant. I usually only do it in the fall. I don't want to lose the money but I also don't want to have to do it twice. Is there a key to successful spring overseeding?

Thanks!
    J.

2. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

It's important to get the seed in as early as possible, make sure the soil is prepped right and, what I think is most important in the spring, more so than the fall, is correct watering.

The best chance of success though, is to explain to them that they stand a good chance of loosing the grass through the summer, and may have to do it again in the fall, and let them make the decision. But offer alternatives, like weed/fert program; soil amendments etc. to prep the lawn for a successful fall overseeding, or they'll just find somebody who will do it.

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Thanks for the response but you know how explanations go. In one ear and out the other. What are the chances I'll be back in fall if I do it right?

4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty good chance you'll be back for the reason you just noted - in one ear and out the other. I always charge double because we end up re-doing about 80% of our spring seedings.