Sloppy and inconsistent ZT driving

Hscyardman

LawnSite Member
I purchased a used toro titan zx4800 around 2000 hours. I have driven other ZT mowers and have not had the steering issues I have had with this unit. While driving it the linkage was sloppy, it seemed to randomly change direction with the slightest bump in the ground. Slow movements seemed impossible, if you tried to gradually advance on side it would not engage smoothly. I replaced the dampeners in the arms and adjusted tracking so that there was no movement in neutral. I have also drained and refilled the hydro on both sides with filter change. Upon visual inspection, the drive belt seems to be a bit loose.
I was going to replace the belt, but I’ve been fighting this mower for months and the sloppy driving is driving me insane. The dampeners certainly helped with mitigating the random changes in direction, but the unit does still change directions at full forward on both wheels.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I also need to straighten out the travel and full speed because it slightly turns to one side on a smooth surface.
I’ve done extensive work on cars before just minimal on mowers so I am handy enough to do the majority of the work unless it’s a transmission rebuild.

thanks for the help

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Put it up on blocks and watch what happens, (seat up) see if there is play in the linkage or the plates move on the hydros. Make sure the pumps are secure and there is no kinks in the hoses, unless it's a all in one unit......

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
As for the not going straight at full speed, I have never had a ztr where both wheel motors spin exactly the same speed with the sticks all the way forward and even. I could probably get an extra mph out of my ferris is3200 if the slightly slower wheel spun as fast as the other one, but it doesn't, I removed the adjsutable stops entirely and verified that one wheel just has a bit more speed at full throw. Not sure if there is any adjustment in the wheel units themselves that could make them even but I wouldn't go that far for such a minor issue.

2000 hours is fairly high, have you had previous machines with that many hours? Things wear and get sloppy over time which would make the hydros feel less precise than on a newer machine.

OP
H

Hscyardman

LawnSite Member
Sorry. I just looked up the original hour meter and it had a single decimal the mower has 250 hours not 2500. I will put the unit up on Blocks and disconnect the seat. I’m guessing you want me or someone to slowly engage the forward or reverse while viewing?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
yes

Top Forums