Lawn Care Forum banner

Slowing shrub growth

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  naturescape 
#1 ·
I have hear of something called "Stunt", I think. It is supposed to slow the growth of hedges. Down here in Fl the lugustrum and viburnum will grow like crazy at certain times of the year. What can I use and how to slow them down?

#4 ·
I use Atrimmec with phenomenal results. We have an account that has Ligustrum japonica and Xylosma congestum all the way around it and it was taking my crew 3 hours a week to trim it all. After two treatments of Atrimmec three weeks apart my crew trims it in about 15 minutes A MONTH. There is no lateral growth but the nodes double making it alot thicker.

#6 ·
Haven't seen cutless yet at my Lesco branch. I read somewhere that there is a guy that started using a granular pgr at a resort in either NC or SC, and absolutely raved about it. The problem is that I can't find that article, and did not bother to write its name down. Is cutless the same principle?

I know that my guys could definately benefit from a granular pgr, since it is easier to apply on commercial accounts while that crews are already there rather than send a tanker to spray.

Anybody that has used this type of product and has seen its benefits, please share your results.

#7 ·
Bringing back this thread to see recent comments about PGRs. I'm considering using Atrimec this season.......... Wondering what the results have been from anyone using it.

#9 ·
TScapes, That resort was "The Greenery" and the product used was in fact, Cutless Granular. There was also an article written in the most recent edition of Lesco News on another resort in Marco Island, FL speaking of the benefits of Cutless Granular. If anyone has any question on this product, feel free to ask. I am the Marketing Manager for SePRO and would love to help in any way I can.

#11 ·
Shaneb? Which cutless product is listed for turf. Is it granular? Thanx

#13 ·
I use Atrimmec with phenomenal results. We have an account that has Ligustrum japonica and Xylosma congestum all the way around it and it was taking my crew 3 hours a week to trim it all. After two treatments of Atrimmec three weeks apart my crew trims it in about 15 minutes A MONTH. There is no lateral growth but the nodes double making it alot thicker.
We use atrimec also......I think the timming of application may be real important so this year we waited until the bushes were growing pretty good then cut them and sprayed one week later. The bushes that we sprayed last year are fuller than they used to be. I think we are going to spray again in the fall right after our hot days and before they resume growing in the fall. The stuff is a little expensiver $320/gallon but I keep thinking that every bush I spray is one more I won't have to touch.

#14 ·
We use atrimec also......I think the timming of application may be real important so this year we waited until the bushes were growing pretty good then cut them and sprayed one week later. The bushes that we sprayed last year are fuller than they used to be. I think we are going to spray again in the fall right after our hot days and before they resume growing in the fall. The stuff is a little expensiver $320/gallon but I keep thinking that every bush I spray is one more I won't have to touch.
I'm anxious to try it! Will be ordering some soon, probably doing some hedge/shrub trimming and trying the atrimec within the next few weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.