Small business software

dkflipse

LawnSite Member
I second this. I use the free version of Yardbook. Well worth it. I've been considering upgrading to the paid. It's about $35/month, I believe.

The free version actually adds on about a 1% fee to your transactions that are processed through them, so you can do some quick maths to figure out which is more cost-efficient for you.
Question for those on YB. Do you also use a complimentary software for accounting? Like Quickbooks? I don't really want to get into using 2 programs....

Mikeorl

LawnSite Member
I currently use square to do my invoicing and quoting. It is fairly easy to use and set up recurring invoices and auto-draft for my customers who want that. I do use their apps on my IPhone and use the website.

dkflipse

LawnSite Member
I only use the Yardbook software itself. The paid version does have Quickbooks integration, but I've yet to need it or look into it.
Right. So at the end of the year how do you do your taxes? Does YB provide all the necessary reports? Do you enter payroll figures in YB?

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Right. So at the end of the year how do you do your taxes? Does YB provide all the necessary reports? Do you enter payroll figures in YB?
I would assume that they do forms, but I'm not sure. I've only been operational for a little over two months now.

I work as an LLC, though, so, if I make under a certain amount I can file it through my individual taxes at the end of the year.

Jon@FuelCred

Sponsor
Hey guys, I am a one man operation looking for good software to create invoices and quotes. I bought My Invoices and Quotes from Amazon, but it's entirely useless. It's not the least bit intuitive to use and it's impossible to figure out how to use it. Do any of you know of a good program with customizable invoices and quotes in the $50-$100 range, or somewhere close.

I would really appreciate some suggestions!

Thank you! Dan--
What Accounting Software do you use? Quickbooks could be a good option for invoicing if you're already using them. If not, Yardbooks (as others have said) is a great free option. If you don't mind paying for a service, Bill.com is by far the best AP/AR platform out there. Expensive though; $40 a month plus .50 cent a payment. Square payment is another good alternative.

MNLawnDad

LawnSite Member
So you send them an invoice and, on the invoice, is a link they can follow that allows them to pay with their card. Just like what you would do on Amazon or any other online shopping site.

They can also leave their card on file, if it's going to be a regular customer, so that they don't have to worry about going and paying everytime. You simply do the work and then charge the card yourself.
One-Man, I left the biz 10 years ago, but I'm back just to help my son get started. Is this Yardbooks software still working well for you? Do they have full support and still show signs of building out the software, rather than dying on the vine? Just looking for something simple to get him going with billing and accounting. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
One-Man, I left the biz 10 years ago, but I'm back just to help my son get started. Is this Yardbooks software still working well for you? Do they have full support and still show signs of building out the software, rather than dying on the vine? Just looking for something simple to get him going with billing and accounting. Any input appreciated. Thanks.
I'm loving it. Learn a bit more each day with it.

You can set up each client with their own information, and it's all accessible in a well-built app. You can create routes for the day that are optimized for efficiency in travel, and you can look at records for each client. You can also send out bulk messages, which is nice.

It's free to sign up for and mess around with. Feel free to explore it!

Just a sample client and sample invoice:

1617336170884.png
1617336253787.png

MNLawnDad

LawnSite Member
I'm loving it. Learn a bit more each day with it.

You can set up each client with their own information, and it's all accessible in a well-built app. You can create routes for the day that are optimized for efficiency in travel, and you can look at records for each client. You can also send out bulk messages, which is nice.

It's free to sign up for and mess around with. Feel free to explore it!

Just a sample client and sample invoice:

View attachment 437171View attachment 437172
Thanks. I showed my son, and he's excited. Have you done much with the phone app? I'm from the old school, monthly billing with Quickbooks and postage, but it would have been nice to bill on the fly and not have a heap of paperwork building up. He will have a partner, so I can see one guy billing from the app between sites to make use of windshield time.