small dilema

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
So my boss bought this new truck and he's decided he wants me to have it.
It's a nice truck- He didn't want to get this nice of a truck but it was all he could find before the end of the year. F250 4x4 5.7 2010 .. lifted.. tinted windows with some nice toyo mountain tires on it. Main thing he wanted was a 2nd 4x4 on the fleet so we can go out to pipe breaks during freezing/snow temps. My boss isn't like some companies out there who love to have tricked out show trucks for the business.. ( Just nice clean straightforward fleet trucks)

So he wants me to have it. My problem is there is another foreman that I feel he should have it instead of me. He's been in the trade for 20 years + and has been working for my boss for 8 years. He's had the same truck this entire time.. and It's beat up..

Me on the other hand.. I've been in the trade for 4.5 years and have been working for my boss for 4.5 years... When I became a foreman- ( just after 1 year) I got the brand new truck - best one on the fleet. Since then I have gotten a 2nd new truck because the first one couldn't pull our cargo trailer too well ( last year) and now this year he wants me to have this.. He has his reasons for me to have this truck.. and admittedly they are all valid.. I mean if I do a better job, put more forth effort , more reliability ect ect.... Why not have the truck..

I just don't want the drama or tension.. The foreman feels he's due for a new truck and I would just feel like I'm taking over him..

I told my boss all of this and that I hope he isn't choosing favoritism because I'm not trying to be a teacher's pet.. I just do my job

So my boss told me to think about it... So I thought about it and then at the end of my work day today I told him I think he should have it and not me.. which apparently didn't go over to well because he still wants me to have it.

So it seems like I'm getting the truck no matter what.. I don't know how to go about telling the other foreman... Hey don't be mad at me because I told our boss no and he still insisted...

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
There will be hurt feelings one way or another. My advice, don't approach the other guy about it, until he either asks you, or you see him fuming and kicking rocks and dogs because of it. Then just tell him it was not your decision, and he should take it up with the boss man. There will be drama, no way around it. You already see it coming. Just handle it like a professional, as you do everything else.

bcg

LawnSite Bronze Member
Honestly Mitch, it's the bosses decision and whatever comes of it is also his problem. I'd just thank him for the truck and if the other guy gets bent out of shape with you tell him to take it up with the boss, you just do what you're told.

Don't lose any sleep over it, it's really not your problem.

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
I had a similar thing happen a while back. I got a job doing duct work in CT. I was only working there for a month or so when the boss got a new truck so every one who had a company truck moved up to the newer truck and there was now an extra truck. These were trucks that were taken home because there was no shop so it saved you amlot on gas not having to drive your personal vehicle all over the state to the various job sites. Well anyway the extra truck went to me when there were two other guys who had been there longer and were 15 and 18 years older than me, I was 23. They were pissed for a while but they got over it. They only had themselves to blame for their lack of ambition and poor workman ship. Take the truck be humble about it and don't rub it in the other guys faces.
Posted via Mobile Device

Waterlogged

LawnSite Senior Member
It has alot to say about your character that you are concerned about how the other foreman is going to feel. However, the other foreman has had four years to step up.
Unless your boss has told you that this new truck is a reward for hard work, this sounds like it is a business decision. The boss may not have even considered who gets a new truck. He may only be thinking about what is needed for the route/area that you are working in and your work requirements.
I wouldn't second guess his business decision. Just say thanks and keep working hard.
We all know how good your work ethic is, from your posts.

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
i had a similar dicission to make only it involved a girl and a dog, i kept the dog:):):)

the decision is the boss's to make. he knows that you'll take better care of his investment mitch. employees will always be jelous of each other, my opine is to just say thank you very much boss:)

TXirrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
So my boss bought this new truck and he's decided he wants me to have it.
It's a nice truck- He didn't want to get this nice of a truck but it was all he could find before the end of the year. F250 4x4 5.7 2010 .. lifted.. tinted windows with some nice toyo mountain tires on it. Main thing he wanted was a 2nd 4x4 on the fleet so we can go out to pipe breaks during freezing/snow temps. My boss isn't like some companies out there who love to have tricked out show trucks for the business.. ( Just nice clean straightforward fleet trucks)

So he wants me to have it. My problem is there is another foreman that I feel he should have it instead of me. He's been in the trade for 20 years + and has been working for my boss for 8 years. He's had the same truck this entire time.. and It's beat up..

Me on the other hand.. I've been in the trade for 4.5 years and have been working for my boss for 4.5 years... When I became a foreman- ( just after 1 year) I got the brand new truck - best one on the fleet. Since then I have gotten a 2nd new truck because the first one couldn't pull our cargo trailer too well ( last year) and now this year he wants me to have this.. He has his reasons for me to have this truck.. and admittedly they are all valid.. I mean if I do a better job, put more forth effort , more reliability ect ect.... Why not have the truck..

I just don't want the drama or tension.. The foreman feels he's due for a new truck and I would just feel like I'm taking over him..

I told my boss all of this and that I hope he isn't choosing favoritism because I'm not trying to be a teacher's pet.. I just do my job

So my boss told me to think about it... So I thought about it and then at the end of my work day today I told him I think he should have it and not me.. which apparently didn't go over to well because he still wants me to have it.

So it seems like I'm getting the truck no matter what.. I don't know how to go about telling the other foreman... Hey don't be mad at me because I told our boss no and he still insisted...
I give my best stuff to the people who earn it, not based on who's been with me the longest.

Your boss knows there might be tension, and still gave you the truck. Set up the truck and roll, let the boss handle the problem he created.