1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Small Engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by todd1969, May 18, 2003.

1. todd1969

todd1969 LawnSite Member

I just registered here and wanted to say Hello and also possibly offer a little "helping hand" with Briggs or Honda small engine troubles.

I have an on-line business that sells these and I've worked on both brands for general lawn purposes to modifications for go-kart racing using alcohol as fuel.

I won't post my website or add links as I've not paid to advertise (yet) but I still wanted to drop in and say " Hi ya'll"....yep, I'm a Southerner! Ha Ha

:)

2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have a 3.5 Briggs on a edger, when the engine is under a load it make a lot of blue smoke. Sometimes it will stall. It has gotten worse each season. Why? How can it be fixed?

What is the difference between a 5.5 Honda and a 6.5, besides the HP?

3. todd1969

todd1969 LawnSite Member

The blue smoke is oil being burnt in the combustion chamber (bad). Basically oil is getting past your rings, which is bad and a sign of excessive wear and tear.

The bore size/ piston size are the main differences on the 5.5 and 6.5 Honda.

Todd1969:rolleyes:

4. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How can it be fixed?

5. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

rings, or round file

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Todd
    Welcome to lawn site. And thank you for the offer of shareing your small engine knowledge. I know there are times I feel in the dark with them.
    Welcome again