Small Equipment Brand and Why?

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
redmax before the strato engines were amazingly good and durable. straight 2 stroke tech and I loved them. I even am rehabbing my old fleet of trimmers from late 90,s I found a brand new short block I forgot I had and 2 other engines still have 130 psi compression so I am re placing carbs and fuel lines and use them again. I had stacked them up in a corner and sort of forgot about them. my redmax dealer is useless so everything has to come via internet-nothing new about this. early stratos were cold blooded-ran hot and lean.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I love my RM BCZ260S trimmer. It is far more comfortable to swing than a slightly front heavy Stihl 94 and slightly more power too. I am not brand loyal and I run or have run something from about everyone, at least all the major players except Tanaka. Yopu can get a lemon from any brand and you can get a god unit. My first 260 was a lemon from the day it left the dealer until the day I returned it a year later. You'd think that would have spooked me off from owning one, but though I had a choice of any brand for a replacement, I chose another 260 as it was the best feeling and balanced trimmer I had held or used. This one has been flawless and starts so well. It is balanced extremely well for me, and has the right angle to the gearbox/head unit to make trimming easier to me.

I hate Husk'y side mount throttle, but as someone else mentioned, they like it. That was my only complaint ever about my 570. Otherwise it was an excellent BP and very stout. I liked my Maruyama 9000 quite well too. I have owned multiple Stihl 2 and 4 stroke BP's. I really liked my BR600 and do like my BR800X extremely well. I like my 8010 and no other BP is close for power other than it's red twin, the 810 Shin, but my all time favorite BP has been and still is, my 802 Shin. It is just as stout as the 570/7500 and very comfortable to run and wear. It blows well above its listed specs, which is a prime example of why specs mean diddly squat. Go to a dealer and run the ones you are interested side by side on the same debris and compare, and take your own BP(s) along to compare as well.

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
I hate huskys side throttle also and don't use my bt 150 unless I have no choice.its a fine machine otherwise. I swear the desighners should be forced to use this stuff before approving a desighn like this.i don't have brand loyality either and use the best product for the job . love the sthil br400 and is still my choice for daily use. br600 for leaf duty. by far the lemons I have bought come from stihl sad to say than all other brands.

joed

LawnSite Bronze Member
My favourite brand has always been Shindaiwa...the original ones. My 13 year old Shindaiwa T230 is still kicking. I've also enjoyed using my T242. Back in the 1990s, Shindaiwa used to have a motto, "First to start, last to quit." That's exactly how I've found their power equipment to be. My next favourite would be Redmax. Excellent products with great power but just a little bit fuel thirsty. The one that has really grown on me is Echo. I used to hate their products but in the last 10 years, especially since they've produced their X series line up, they've really improved. Finally, the most disappointing one has been Stihl. When I started up in the lawn maintenance business back in the 1990s, Stihl was the proverbial King of the Hill. I started off with a curved shaft Fs75 trimmer and BR400 blower. They were excellent. Unfortunately, I've found that their products, especially their trimmers, have really declined over the last decade.

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
joed -i agree 100% with your post. i have a pile of broken redmax trimmers from ;ate 90,s i had forgotten about and written off. well i looked them over and 3 still have good compression so i started fixing then back up. have 2 working perfect and what a joy to use the redmax from their golden era-pre strato engine. the cheap chinese carbs make it worth it to put $ into these again. i have enough of the old shindy, good stuff to last till retirement

Top Forums