Small Landscape help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by no_Wedge, Mar 24, 2011.

1. no_Wedge

no_Wedge LawnSite Member

I have this small area next to the house (cement slab) which I am wanting to landscape with something that will add some appeal. I live in lubbock, tx so zone 7 and it stays pretty dry here, so things that can tolerate heat and some drought. I want to fill the whole area pretty much, but leave room for the faucet. It is ~12ft at back and ~6ft at front Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Silver Member

Something basic, compact holly (Ilex crenata 'Compacta') and maybe plant some colorful annuals up near the front edge you can swictch out 2 times a year.

3. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Low maintenace? Color? What are you looking to achive. Stay native and keep it simple.

4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Mt. Pleasant Ia.

A variety of ornamental grasses, tall in back and short in front. lots to choose from.
    VO

5. no_Wedge

no_Wedge LawnSite Member

really don't like flowering varieties, am leaning toward evergreen type and maintenance doesn't matter a whole lot, but the less the better.

6. ron mexico75

That's why I told you compact holly. Evergreen, minimal pruning to shape based upon preference but not mandatory.

7. no_Wedge

no_Wedge LawnSite Member

that does sound nice, how many of the holly's could i fit in there? I was thinking 3 with maybe some ornamental grasses or annuals like you stated toward the front to bring in the eye

8. ron mexico75

I wouldn't do more then 3 and nothing else. It's going to get to around 5-6' x 5-6' when mature if left unpruned. Until then you might get away with planting some annuals on the front edge.

9. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

1 little gem magnolia and 3-4 double red knock out roses and a few stella da ore day lillies

10. ron mexico75

I love all of those plants yopu mentioned. However, I would never plant or tell somebody to pant a tree that gets upwards of 20 feet tall in an area that small, next to a foundation and enclosed by sidewalk on the other 3 sides. Also, you know how big knockouts get? They grow fast as hell too.