1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

small landscape wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sgallaher, Mar 6, 2004.

1. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a picture of a small landscape wall that we just built for a customer, have one more to build in the front of the house. Also laid sod in the back yard and will be spreading topsoil and re-doing the rest of the yard. What do you think?

pict0008a.jpg

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Looks nice. Are those Pavestones?

3. sgallaher

Thanks. They are the English Garden Wall from EP Henry, Autumn Harvest color.

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey for those small of walls did you put a base under that wall? Like alittle TB for a base then backfilled with topsoil?
    Looks great.
    Matt

5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think thos little walls need a base its only 2 courses really...as long as ya dont disturb the dirt of theground too much itll be fine.

Chuck

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We do a lot of those smaller walls. We still strip out the topsoil and place at least a 3" layer of mdified stone as a base.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am working on a wall like that at my house, but its 2 rows higher. I used filling sand as a base and a level to create a even foundation. Does anyone else use sand under the first row. It has turned out well so far. I may post pics when it is done!

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done several walls using small block. Looks good, yea i usually just dig down a couple of inches tamp the soil and put in the blocks then back filled with crushed stone.

9. sgallaher

Acutally the wall is 4 courses high, it's hard to see because the ground in front of it has not been leveled yet. Yeah, we put about a 4" base and compacted it well. It's a new house and didn't want it to settle too much.

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Is there a stone missing at the end on the left side?