small mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by saltbranch, Nov 12, 2017.

1. saltbranch

saltbranch LawnSite Member

I am getting my equipment bout with intentions of starting a mowing business at some point. I have an enclosed trailer, a Scag 61" cut, echo weed eaters and blower. I need a small mower and I prefer to use an edger like a McClane's. Any suggestions on the small mower and edger?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

21 ? 30? , 36? 42?,48? Define small.

3. saltbranch

saltbranch LawnSite Member

21" and 30"
    Thank you

4. primerbulb120

primerbulb120 LawnSite Member

I would recommend the Honda 21. I know you prefer to use a push edger, I did too when I first started out. I eventually got better at the stick edger, and now I can leave a cleaner edge in half the time.

hort101 likes this.
  5. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Senior Member

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

If you mulch I would buy the toro
    21"(22290) 112 lbs. Out mulch all the Honda's. Bags great. Blade options. No BS honda ergo /controls and long handlebars.

If you want bigger the turfmaster exmark 30's . Excellent mulching if set up correctly. Will bag real well if set up correctly. Covers into 36" territory and will replace a 21 if you are not gate/ air challenged.

7. SodaPopCurtis

SodaPopCurtis LawnSite Member
    from PA

Dishboy we have a 30 inch turf master for our gated lawns. Love the mower but bags like crap with any little moisture. Want to set it up correctly. Ideas?

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Pull the flow control baffle, get G-5 gators and cut the teeth off saving the sail. You will git a little BO with leaves but it works much better in wet .

hort101 likes this.
  9. primerbulb120

primerbulb120 LawnSite Member

21"(HRX217VKA) 90 lbs. I would like to see a Toro try to out mulch my Honda. :laugh: Bags great. Blade options. No clumsy bail operated drive, and the handle bars are actually designed to be comfortable, not just a round metal bar like cheap homeowner mowers (and the Toro) have.

Oh, and the Honda is also $800 cheaper, 22 pounds lighter, more powerful, smoother, and the parts are not outrageously overpriced. It also has a Nexite deck (which weighs less and stays cleaner than metal).

- Drive system. The thumb operated Smart Drive system is much easier and more comfortable to use than the Toro's bail operated drive, and it's also easier on your hands.

-Clip Director. The Clip Director makes it easy to mulch, bag or rear discharge (the Toro can't discharge, by the way.) It also has a partial mulch mode that mulches the clippings before discharging them, leaving a cleaner cut in tall or thick grass than a traditional mulching mower.

-Engine. Don't get me wrong, Kawasaki makes awesome ZTR and WAW engines. But their push mower engines don't hold a candle to the Hondas. Take a look at the specs. The GCV190 is bigger, more powerful and has a better track record than the Kawasakis. Parts are also several times cheaper and are easier to obtain.

Handle bars - I have never found the Honda handle bars to be cumbersome or overly long.

Any other questions, just ask me. :)

oqueoque likes this.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I own a hrx217vka , sorry it will never mulch as well as the toro, the deck is to narrow right in front of the chute. The toro is deeper here . Shallow deck creates velocity and low pressure which equates to leaving clippings on top of thick long cool season turf. If you think the honda is a good mulcher in its stock form you don't have any experience with really good mulch decks. They also do not offer a decent mulch blade which is a significant hurdle to overcome. Good Deck design and blade options don't need massive hp to work well. Tire and wheel and deck relationship on the honda sucks near fences or bed edges. , the machine falls right off edges if you get near them. Discharging with a 21, a feature that does not fit the application . If you have room to Discharge you are using the wrong mower. Besides , the honda discharging out the back just leaves a mess. What professional leaves a mess?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017