small mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by saltbranch, Nov 12, 2017.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’ll have to agree here the Honda is a turd.

That plastic deck and the homeowner fisher price select a cut system aren’t commercial level durability,
    That’s a high end homeowner model that copies features of Honda’s lack luster commercial unit

dishboy likes this.
  2. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Toro or Exmark Commercial 21 if you want a 21, or even the new Bob Cat that just came out, it looks pretty sweet. I have been using the Exmarks and Toros for years now and they were great, last a while too.v

hort101 likes this.
  3. Church2224

I have had/ Currently own Toro and Exmark Commercials and a Honda HRC216HXA and an HRX217HYA and I prefer the Toro and Exmark 21s over anything Honda Makes.

First of all the Kawasaki FJ 180V is one of the most powerful engines out here and is quite reliable and durable. Also Exmark and Toro allow you to have the Honda GXV160 Engine one some models. My personal Toro 22296 I have for my home has the Honda on it and it is a good engine, I will give it that, and will probably get more mowers with that engine on it in the future, but the Kawasaki is also a good engine.

The Handle Bars on the Honda units make it harder to turn in tight spaces, which is where you want to be operating a 21 inch machine. I have found operating the Toros to be easier to maneuver in tight spaces and in ditches.

I cannot stand that thumb drive and honestly would say Honda's older style controls like the HRC216s to be superior. The best controls overall imho are the Dual Bails like on the Toro 22290 and Exmark Commercial 21s. I do like the single bail, wish Toro would bring it back on more mowers like the old Super Recyclers.

You may have the nexite deck and save a few bucks in the short term, but I have a couple units still going at 1,500.00 hours strong and are holding up just fine. You are making a comparison to make you unit seem superior without taking everything into consideration.

hort101 likes this.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Add to that the hrxvka 217 will hardly pull it self up a hill unless the speed adjust is full fast which is to fast for when not on hills. I had to do extensive work on the deck and blade to get it to mulch acceptable. I bought it because LS members thought it mulched excellent. Apparently we have different standards. In stock form on cool season grass it's a bagger only. Sure it will bag in drought conditions but forget fertilized irrigated lawns. It is light and the handle bar folds so it takes little room on the trailer so it clears my side gate when up. Next season I am dumping the one account I need it for and sticking with the turfmaster.

5. Church2224

Why not just pick up a Toro Commercial to replace it and then allow yourself to get some smaller accounts to use it on?

6. 71GTX

71GTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT.

That was my experience with the Honda as well, the grass would not process leaving long clippings on the top.Been running the 22298 this summer, they finally perfected the Proline, mulches and bags great, the KAI stays flat even in wet thick turf,the new 3 speed pulls effortless.I prefer the 108-3759 blade (more sail) eliminating grass drop on turns and mowhawking when wet.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Church2224

I have two 22298s, awesome machines.

71GTX likes this.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I like the 30 for that purpose. 21's are too slow for most purposes where I need a small mower. My 30 is a mulching demon. I have one account I use the 21 on. It's tiny and the light 21 works well for it. The Honda does work well for lush tall spring bagging in the rain If I lose the top blade. It's a tool , if I had to use the 21 more I would buy the commercial toro. The 42" timed mulch deck on the green bobcat is going on the scag swz with a 21HP kohler and the 18X 8.50-10 tires. It's going to be my small yard killer. SAM_2750.JPG SAM_2812.JPG

hort101 likes this.
  9. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Not self propelled and weighs 120 lbs. Mulches and bags great and I expect it will out last me - hell it may kill me using the heavy sob. :weightlifter:

DSC01669.JPG DSC01674.JPG

oqueoque likes this.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Bobcats cast deck.