1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

small over seeder

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by wrmarch, May 23, 2003.

1. wrmarch

wrmarch LawnSite Member

Hey!

In 2001 I used an over seeder to seed into my existing lawn. The back which has full sun and a sprinkler system looks great.

My front lawn is half full sun and half shade (oaks and tall cedars)and a sprinkler system. Its my problem, very spotty with patches of dark green grass.

My question is, is there a small over seeder on the market to rent or should I loosen the soil and sprinkle seed around.

Thanks

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Sure you rent overseeders. $120 a day for the nice Ryan Mataway around here. Can also rent a smaller power rake, get the cutting blade, not the swinging hammers. About $40 a day. Either will do the job.
    Make sure you get a shade mix of seed.

3. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

you can use a rotary-spreader to re-seed, can buy one for30-50 bucks from wal-mart or home depot, aerate youre lawn and then overseed.

4. Mike Bradbury

I've never been happy with the aerate/seed process. To much clumping as the seed only takes in the aeration holes. Got to do something to rough up the soil in the 95% of the area not touched by the plugs. Power rake, THEN aerate, very good.

5. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

i never have problems with the aeration and seeding process,works great if done properly!

6. Mike Bradbury

So explain how you do it "properly", cause I and the three differnent companies I sub for all consider it unacceptable. Help me out.