Small pull sprayer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Hollerstiltner, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Hollerstiltner

Hollerstiltner LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Without making too many excuses, I'm finding my lawn with way too many weeds. The majority seems to be plantin and dandilion with some clover tossed in as well.

I'm considering getting a small pull behind sprayer for my mower to make treating my 1.5 acres easier.

Are there any pull behind sprayers that you've had good luck with?

Also, does anyone find it odd that I enjoy reading in herbicides, application rates and calibration?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Pull behind is fine. Just make sure you calibrate it correctly. Fill it with water and measure out 1000 sq ft in your lawn or on a driveway or on an empty road. Speedzone is about 1.5 oz per 1k sq ft.

3. Hollerstiltner

from East TN

Thanks for the herbicide recommendation! I'll keep that in mind when I get ready to start. Are there any residential type sprayers you'd recommend?

4. brichter14

No I even built my own. I would recommend red tips. Just remember the amount of water you put down is not that important. Just make sure you are applying the product at the proper rate. For example my spray does 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft. So because of that I put 45 oz of speedzone in a 30 gal tank. Because speedzone is 1.5 oz per 1k

5. Glwenzl

Glwenzl LawnSite Senior Member

IMG_5096.JPG IMG_5081.JPG

I had a 25 gallon FIMCO pull behind with a 5 tip folding boom. It did a nice job and worked ok for the money but I replaced some of the cheap plastic fittings on the manifold with brass fittings.

Last winter I purchased a slightly used 40 gal 3-point hitch model and guess what? Has to replaced one of the cheap plastic fittings already. I also took off the 4 tipped boom and installed my old 5 tip boom.

6. brichter14

7. Hollerstiltner

from East TN

The FIMCO is one I was looking at it. Glad it seemed to work well for what you paid. Hopefully something like that would work well for me. I'm not planning on massive usage for my yard.

That's a really nice setup you made. It'd be interesting see a write up of it one day. I like that it's out front where you can see it easier. Any issues with overspray coming back as you go forward?

Nice mower as well. I picked up a 915E over the winter and am loving it.

8. brichter14

No the tips are like 16" from the ground. I don't get any spray on me. There is also a ball valve that lets me use the wand too so I can get hard to reach places.

9. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Senior Member