• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Small Scale Blade Sharpening

NORTHMAN

LawnSite Senior Member
Unlike many of you that run multiple mowers and have a number of blades to sharpen,I'm small,I have a ZTR and a 21" mower,whats the most efficient way to sharpen them?

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Harbor Freight sells 4.5" Chicago Electric grinders for around $10-$18 each (depends if on sale), and for many years I just hold the blade in one hand while I grind it OR set it down like on a porch step with the dull edge hanging over air and put my foot down on the other end, then hit that thang with the grinder, 1-2 minutes / blade and you're done. Splurge $5 on a generic blade balancer and you sharpen / balance like the pros for just under $25.

Peace

fitzg2md

LawnSite Member
Was in northern tools the other day. They are selling some generic 4.5 grinder for 9 bucks! To think I bought my dewalt 4.5 for 80! I could have replaced the 9 buck one....ohh...almost 9 times! hahaha. Can hardly buy a blade for that much -MF

LawnSharks

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey Northman,
I was at our local Lowes store yesterday and they are discontinueing their blade ballancer line. They had the MTD metal pivot balancers reduced to $1.99!!!! I don't know if this was a mistake or what, they are usually about $12.00.
Could be one of the best purchases you'll make.

OP
N

NORTHMAN

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks,I'll try to stop by today or tomorrow.Who else makes an affordable balancer?