• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Small startup

richonsa

LawnSite Member
I'll be cutting some grass this year for a little extra money. I have a 2004 Ranger with the 3.0 6 cylinder. I have a push mower, a hustler 36 ztr, blower, edger, hedge clipper (everything is stihl or echo). I plan to buy a 48 or 60 exmark and a trailer. I'm looking at 6x12 enclosed units. Anyone here think that the ranger is inadequate to pull a 6x12 with two ztr's a push, and the other implements? I assume I will be working 2 or 3 days/week. I know the weight ratings and the ranger manual indicates a certain weight as being ok, but I'm looking for those who have had experience with the ranger.

SangerLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
It is going to be extremely hard on the transmission but only working 2 days a week (as long as truck weight is legal) you should be ok.

I do recommend getting a 16 foot open trailer instead of a 12 enclosed. If you buy used the price will be about the same and the 16 foot will hold its value longer. You are also going to run out of room on your 12 foot fast. With the 16 foot you will have plenty of spare room and be able to handle larger landscaping jobs. You will also have problems selling a 12 foot trailer when you go to sell it.

Of course this is all based on the legal weight limit of your truck and what you are hauling. A tandem trailer will also have 4 wheels to help stable weight unlike the 12 footer.

OP
R

richonsa

LawnSite Member
The only problem with an open trailer is it will expose all of my equipment to the elements year round, and I may need to leave my trailer at my office in town unattended overnight. I would hope that the enclosed trailer would cut down on theft potential. With that said, I am not totally closed to the open trailer. I would like the side of the trailer to have a sign, though.

daveintoledo

LawnSite Silver Member
you dont have enough truck to pull a trailor with two z's on it and especiallywith an enclosed trailor. One thing about an open trailor it weighs alot less. hope it goes well for you

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
Is the Ranger 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? It will make a difference because the 4 wheel usually has a tranny cooler and that much weight (enclosed trailer full of stuff) will really smoke that tranny and ford's are pretty notorious for having tranny problems anyways...

Why not use the equipment you have an update the truck to larger one? Especially if this is your main means of transportation...I read over what you have and what you want to get, but unless the properties you already have require the new equipment I would use what you have for now and focus on replacing the truck first...

OP
R

richonsa

LawnSite Member
Already decided to pick up a good used open trailer, most likely a 6x12, and a used push mower. This will be all I will need starting out. I have two different folks who can already push work my way and I will be getting started shortly.

Exact Rototilling

LawnSite Fanatic
FWIW save your self the grief of payments or extra payments and just use your current truck. Focus on smaller and frankly often more lucrative lawns.

I use smaller Toyota rigs and I tow an enclosed 6 x 12. Hardly ideal above 55 mph due to wind drag but fine around town. The other factor is the total weight of the equipment. I flat out don't advise towing any trailer with a Ranger, Tacoma etc. with a total trailer weight much over 2200 pounds...with out trailer brakes. I use lighter weight Quick WB mowers and will probably never own a mower much over 700 pounds.