1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Small trailer advice please

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Valk, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Am expanding from just a 21" to include a Quickie 32" WB (350lbs).

For now, meaning this year and perhaps the next, I need to buy a small trailer for the WB to be towed by my Nissan P/U with a 2.4 liter/140hp 4 cyl with a bedshell/topper.

I commute 2 days a week about 80+ miles (at hopefully hwy speed - 70mph) and the other 3 days are local.

I'm basically a mow/trim/blow operation for now. I can keep all handhelds & the 21 in the bed if need be.

I want to buy new so am open to brand/style/model suggestions...IE small enclosed trailer max 48" inside height OR tilt trailer/snowmobile-type trailer OR small utility trailer OR what?

My biggest concern is aerodynamic drag with my engine size...a tall gate would seem to be quite a wind-drag at hwy speeds - but for now I need to make my truck-trailer work for the forseeable future.

Thank you for your time. If any of this is unclear please say so...

Valk

2. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your basic 5x8 landscape trailer will work fine. Get one with a drop down gate as opposed to a tilt bed. It's not really a good idea to go 70mph with any trailer by the way. And lastly, don't use a bumper hitch - do it right and put a class 3 receiver on the truck. The bumpers on most trucks are strictly decoration.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

think someone on the forum was selling a 5X8 for $500....

4. Yahl

Yahl LawnSite Member

Yup, and $650 brought to your door if you live under 500 miles away from OKC. Wish I could buy it...

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I think it was mowman25 selling that trailer