Small Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Networker, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:42 PM.

1. Networker

Networker LawnSite Member

I have several properties with ditches. Some are too steep for my Gravely 36 ProStance, some are too narrow at the bottom for the 36 to even be able to cut at all. Currently, I'm using a 21" Troy Built with a Honda engine. I've used it quite a bit for a year and a half, and now the Troy Bilt parts are beginning to fail. I'm going to need a replacement sometime this season. Hence my question:

Is there a 21" - 30" commercial walk behind around? If I could get swivel/caster from wheels, hydros, and a Kawasaki engine it would be perfect. After several google searches, I've learned that Exmark makes a 30" commercial, and Gravely has a 28" model. Is that all there is or am I missing something?

2. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

32” walk behind gonna be your best option in my opinion for ditches

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  3. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

Don't waste your money on that Exmark/Toro 30" walk behind. It's a great idea, but they're gutless and not in the same universe as their 21" counterparts in regards to durability.

It you got a dealer within driving distance, this is where it's at.....

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

skip the toro/exmark 30. its drive cannot go up hills with out you pushing. useless for ditches. you need a 21 with strong dual drive rear wheels. the toro proline is what you want. been my ditch mower for 30 years. nothing pulls stronger in a 21

5. Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I have had my Turfmaster HDX since last July and I haven't had an issue climbing hills. It wont be super fast and you might have to help it a little here and there, but its a lot lighter than a 32-36 wb and has either a Kawi 180cc (what I have) or a Kohler 210cc (new model)

6. cold-beer

That 210cc is possibly a game changer. I love the concept of the Exmark/Toro 30" mowers, but they still don't have them perfected.

I would love to see a Honda make a 30" bagging mower with a 10-12hp engine

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Sarlo no longer lists ANY hydro WB mowers at their website.

8. Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

It's definitley not perfect and that 210cc has the potential to be a game changer, but in my opinion they need to make the back axle narrower and put on a wider tire with stronger tread so it can grip better. It has enough power to pull itself up hills, but when its wet the tires just spin for a second.

A Honda would be nice and there could be one in R&D right now. I feel like they are due for a commercial line revamp soon

9. cold-beer

I was under the impression that they never made a Hydro in the first place. There a dealer near me that carries these mowers. He says they're almost indestructible with how simple they are.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

That video you linked is about their Big Mo 30 - a single blade single hydro mower. Sarlo used to also have the Big Mo 34 - a twin bladed single hydro mower.
    Neither of these two hydro mowers is listed on Sarlomower.com's website anymore.
    They do have other mowers, so perhaps it is (one of) those you are referencing?