Smoke Breaks?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by cutman2000, Jul 31, 2018.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have workers that smokes. I'm not sure how or if I should clock them out during this time. I'm starting to see more breaks from smokers. They are going back and forth to the trucks, getting their cigarettes and sometimes cellphones. They will finish their assignment and go right to the truck. I ask that if you finish your assignment, you should help your partner, rather than having someone sitting on my clock. But I am seeing the smoking thing and not sure if I should deal with this or accept that smokers need to smoke and give them special privileges.

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Smokers cell phone use.....what a crew

3. AL's

AL's LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I use to smoke. 1 pack or 2 packs a day depending on the day. The whole reason I started smoking was bc I noticed smokers got ALOT of breaks. So after awhile when I noticed one of the smoker guys go out back I would mosey on out there and bum one so I could get a 10 min break. Of course this happened every hour or 2 and it wasn't long before I was hooked.

Anyway, do you allow them to smoke on clients property? I would think the easiest thing to do is implement a no smoking on clients property policy. In truck between jobs only. Say you've had some complaints thus the new policy.

I wouldn't want them sitting on my clock either and really I was being a sh*tty employee when I started doing it to get breaks.

Smokers don't NEED to smoke, they want to. No special privileges. I worked briefly for a guy as a trimmer helper a long time ago when I was in that hardcore 2 pack a day stage, but he had a no smoke policy and I went 10 - 12 hours a day no cig. It sucked. But it ain't gonna kill anybody. Really comes down to do they need the job more than a cigarette. I'd think most guys are smart enough to figure out the answer is yes.

wishfull likes this.
  4. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Gold Member

Tell them they can have a cigarette while they are riding in the truck to the next property.
    [​IMG]

5. cutman2000

My trucks are smoke free. Absolutely, 100% smoke free.

sehitchman, KUMA01 and kemco like this.
  6. cutman2000

I don't allow them to smoke on the client's properties. They have to stand at the back of the truck or trailer. They can't smoke in the trucks either, not fair to other non smokers. I really just don't like the constant running to the trucks, smoking and checking cell phones, breaking, etc.

neetan and wishfull like this.
  7. Tobster

Tobster LawnSite Member

If this became company policy and was enforced, would it help reduce the problem?

wishfull likes this.
  8. wishfull

wishfull LawnSite Senior Member

I'm an exsmoker but I try not to preach to my employees about smoking. I have C.O.P.D. now and can do very little work anymore as I can't breath. I set up a designated smoking area at our nursery but still find employees ignoring the rules. I allow no smoking in my company truck as well as the equipment I might be running. The crews that are run by my son, a smoker, are allowed to smoke in those trucks and equipment cabs. He will not, however, allow smoking on clients property. Cell phones are to be kept in the trucks and are to be checked only for messages.

Set a company policy that works for you not them. I couldn't give a hoot if they got mad at me or not. It's my business and my lungs.

neetan likes this.
  9. cutman2000

How often are they allowed to check their cell phone messages and when?

10. cutman2000

If they're all done, they'd be in the truck heading to the next property.