1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Snapper 32 hydro problems.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I purchased a Snapper Pro 32 Hydro this Spring believing it may be a great intermediate "gate mower". One MAJOR problem, despite what my dealer told me, the blades are not offset leaving a line right down the middle of the mower deck. In short grass it is not noticeable but in anything over 3 inches - especially taller St. Augustine and tall weeds it is very noticeable and has to be cut twice. I have had the mower now for 3 months, probably only has 10 hours on it, and have tried changing out the blades 3 times with no luck. Has anyone had luck with bringing a mower back after that period of time, and what is typically dealer reaction? I have no problem with another Snapper line mower - I just feal that the 32 is not commercial quality and has turned out to be a poor design. What do y'all think - and any suggestions?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Check your deck rake , to much rake in a short bladed machine will do this. I have also seen this with Gator blades. It may be that you are just cutting off too much grass at on pass. The 1/3 cutting rule thing. I have found if cutting 1/2 or more of the blade at one time always requires two passes for a clean cut.

3. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Had Gators installed before using the mower at all and thought the problem was the Gator Blades - and went back to factory blades with same problem. Only adjustment for deck height is a rear lever - so in tall weeds do say a 36'' with 3 blades have the same issues?

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

This is Normal in Decks w/Poor Overlap in Heavy Growth....If it continues Take it Back.

5. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I guess not only with the question of has anyone else had this problem with the Ferris/Snapper 32 hydro, secondary question is what kind of a fight am I looking at in exchanging the model for a 36?