Lawn Care Forum banner

Snapper Power Plug Aerator-Info

21K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MWHC 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used a Snapper Power Plug lawn aerator? I know they are no longer made, but I can get a new one very cheap. Would one be suitable for a small, start up lawn aeration business to use until the business warranted buying a Lawnaire?

#2 ·
Don't do it! I bought a used Snapper Power Plug when I first started aerating. Unless the soil is very saturated it is very hard to do a good job aerating. I would be embarrassed after a lot of jobs I did with the Power Plug. If you don't care about quality plugs,i.e., plugs that are at least 2 to 3 inches deep, then buy one. I would spend the extra money up front and buy a good new aerator. It will pay for it self in no time.

G
#3 ·
While I have only see pictures on a Snapper power plug, I don't think that they are a good choice for your only machine. Since they reciprocate, the ground would have to be soft for them to work. Look at the Ryan reciprocating unit, and you will see that it is much heavier, and could penetrate better in dry conditions.

I use a Ryan Lawnaire IV and it had trouble whrn it is dry and the ground is hard. The thing weighs 177# empty, 215 with weight bar, and 265 with weight bar and water in tank. IF this this has difficulty in dry conditions, with a rolling action, imagine what a smaller machine that has a reciprocating action would do?

#4 ·
Whoever is selling it should pay you to take it. Snapper power plug is the worst aerator I have ever used. It won't work if the ground is dry. It vibrates the hell out of your body. I can go on and on about the woes of this machine.

Here is a good rule of thumb to follow in the lawn business. If it reads "Snapper", stay away. Buy the Ryan Lawnaire and be done with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.