1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Turfcruiser

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wes, May 26, 2000.

1. Wes

Wes LawnSite Member

Thinking of biting the bullet and buying a ZTR. My local dealer is trying to sell me a Snapper Turfcruiser and I want your opinions on it. It has a 61" deck with a 25 horse Kohler. About what would this run in your area? He's wants $7,400.00. Thanks for your reply.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

My Opinion......to be very frank I think its junk. I tried one, its not built for &quot;real&quot; commercial use. I would understand if you were doing it for the price, but for what your dealer is raping you on it, check out a Exmark Lazer Z, the prices are pretty close, the ex-marks going to be a little more, but its 100% better of a machine. I know everyone has their favorite z's but I hope you compare the quality to other units in the price range.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a turf cruiser at Expo 99 last year at Louisville. It's a very decent machine if you can master the joystick control. Personally, I found it a &quot;*****&quot; to master, but some might not feel the same way, otherwise it's a very well built machine. It's manufactured to be a lot like a grasshopper. I think Snapper has done their homework on this machine, because the 74&quot; deck on the machine I demoed was as good a deck as I'd seen on a machine in some time. Try one from a reputable dealer and make your own decision. They are definitely not junk. Thanks, Lynn

4. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

That's the problem, here.... You can't ask a question here and get a straight answer without someone &quot;pitching&quot; the brand they use, and it is &quot;ALWAYS&quot; thebest. That snapper mower is VERY nice it is built like a tank. There are versions of the same mower with the joystick or the the regular twin &quot;sticks&quot; for steering. Pick your flavor, at least they DO give you a choice.<br> And in case you are wondering, no I do not own the snapper turf cruiser, but have demoed them. It's solid.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lakegastonla

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think twin stick is the way to go. Snapper has one commercial model with two steering levers, and it is the only I would buy. People around here have access to Snapper easier than any other mower, yet most cutters use exmark.

6. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

i owned one,don`t waste your money.<br>dave

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't tried the cruiser, but i have scag 52s walkbehinds and also snapper 52s I think snapper makes one of the best walkbehinds,the tracking system is awesome,and the loop steering is top notch,and easy on the hands,plus you can cut much closer to sticker=bushes ect, But don't let anyone tell you snapper commercial equipment is junk.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one befor I bought, not the mower it should be for the money. and as for the &quot;pitch&quot; I belive that might be what people are asking for. Openions. <br>It might not be the best out there. there might be better ones. but I went with a Great Dane chariot 61&quot;25hp, I relly like it. See if you can find one befor you put money down on a snapper. BTW 6900.00 snapper was 7400.00. Jim

9. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I bought the 52&quot; 25 HP snapper Z. It was not my mower of choice, but dealer location was the factor. My dealer had the 61&quot; for $6600. It's a descent machine for me, because I'm part-time. I'm not sure if I'd like it if I used it all day everyday. It cuts very fast, but tends to scalp a little. I will say that Snapper has made some improvements on their commercial line. For the money, I won't complain, but I wouldn't spend anymore than that on one. Good luck, Bill

10. Wes

Wes LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise.<br>