• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Snapshot Substitute

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
I do not do much bed work. However, I have a large property for which I am supposed to make 3 snapshot applications through the season. The beds measure ~100,000 square feet. I would much prefer to do this with my hose gun rather than snapshot in a chest spreader.

Would Prodiamine/Surflan be a reasonable replacement? I have never used Surflan, but this was suggested to me by my dealer. From the literature I read, Surflan rates "Good" rather than excellent against many of the weeds I might be worried about. I would also consider prodiamine/Gallery, but I have not yet priced Gallery.

I am needing to prevent a normal range of both grassy and broadleaf weeds.

My budget is $500 of chemical per application. Which products would you use? What types of prices can I expect on Gallery when i call tomorrow?

Any other suggestions?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
I do not do much bed work. However, I have a large property for which I am supposed to make 3 snapshot applications through the season. The beds measure ~100,000 square feet. I would much prefer to do this with my hose gun rather than snapshot in a chest spreader.

Would Prodiamine/Surflan be a reasonable replacement? I have never used Surflan, but this was suggested to me by my dealer. From the literature I read, Surflan rates "Good" rather than excellent against many of the weeds I might be worried about. I would also consider prodiamine/Gallery, but I have not yet priced Gallery.

I am needing to prevent a normal range of both grassy and broadleaf weeds.

My budget is $500 of chemical per application. Which products would you use? What types of prices can I expect on Gallery when i call tomorrow?

Any other suggestions?
Prodiamine is better than Surflan IMO (better control & Surflan is florurecent orange & temporarily stains mulch, rocks, etc). ... Gallery ~$150/lb I was thinking it was coming off patent, but have not seen any generics yet-you may check into that.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
gallery is in snapshot and is much better, but i have never priced it separate as i cant do liquid apps due to dense plantings, i use granules. i have switched from snapshot here as i have used it for like 7 years and have lost control of many weeds, going with freehand 1.75G this year as it is supposed to control nutsedge too, but much less weeds are controled as the other half of freehand is pendi. nutsedge is a huge factor so i need to see if it will work or not.

oh, i would use gallery if you can budget it with prodiamine to answer your ?????

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Second vote for Gallery and prodiamine. Take note that the cost to treat 100,000 sq ft with Gallery is over $300. Generic prodiamine is going to add something to that figure. However, it is much less than doing it with something granular. I also like the ability to spray under shrubs easily and not having granules lodge in the growing points of ground covers such as liriope or mondo grass.

OP
T

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
Second vote for Gallery and prodiamine. Take note that the cost to treat 100,000 sq ft with Gallery is over $300. Generic prodiamine is going to add something to that figure. However, it is much less than doing it with something granular. I also like the ability to spray under shrubs easily and not having granules lodge in the growing points of ground covers such as liriope or mondo grass.
Thanks guys. Prodiamine/Gallery it is then. Should save me a little money, and I think a good deal of time.