Snowblower guard removal to access carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by streetcore, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetcore

streetcore LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

One of my clients gave me an old Mastercraft snowblower with an 8HP Briggs and Stratton engine. It runs, but the carb leaks a bit of gas. I've read that this is a common problem with these old Flo-Jet carbs, but in order to remove/service the carb I need to remove a metal guard/cover that is held in place by three of the cylinder head bolts (see pics below).

Is it okay to remove these three bolts as long as I re-torque them to spec when I put them back? Is that guard really necessary, or could I remove it permanently?

Thanks for any advice.

20181116-snowblower-repair-4900.jpg snowblower-briggs-cover.jpg snowblower-briggs-cover-2.jpg

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Go for it. Shouldn't be an issue.

BTW snow related stuff should be posted in plowsite.

Walker56 likes this.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, just R&R the three bolts. Nice to torque 'em, but bu can just get em as tight as the others, no real big deal.
    Should keep the guard/ cover on, looks to warm the intake air.

Walker56 likes this.
  4. streetcore

streetcore LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I was a bit nervous about cracking those cylinder head bolts. It makes sense that the cover is on there to warm the air intake, but it definitely makes carb adjustments difficult.

Sorry about that and thanks for the tip. I didn't even know there was another site. If a moderator is able to move this thread, feel free.

Cheers.

5. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I will close this out for now, you can post on www.plowsite.com as the sites are two separate sites.

thanks

Walker56 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.