Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David Dell started out selling computers out of the trunk of his car.
Would you have laughed? (it is actually kinda funny)

(i think i got the 1st name right, anyway, you know the dell corporation).

Things like these make me think twice anymore, the guy I laugh at today could be the next large outfit owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
The only difference I see between scrubs and professionals is the quality of work and the reliability of service. With the economy as it is the only way to make it is to do more with less and to squeeze a buck so hard it screams while retaining the quality :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,898 Posts
Scotts' Yard Care said:
so then we must be :D We've kept our customers happy and their lawns looking good for better than twenty years so we're fair to middlin' scrubs.
No don't flatter yourself if you don't have insurence and pay taxes your just a lowly scrub nothing more than someone out for beer money for the last 20 yrs :waving:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
olderthandirt said:
No don't flatter yourself if you don't have insurence and pay taxes your just a lowly scrub nothing more than someone out for beer money for the last 20 yrs :waving:
So then, what is the substance/value in labelling or defining "scrub"?

I think if people want to try and get away with some costs in their business while living risky and seemingly immoral/unethical, that is their prerogative. I could not hope to fill a position in which I could stand and make a value statement about them. The only difference is how they are perceived by others, and how others perceive those risks and moral codes.

Of course, another difference could be residing behind bars or living as a citizen..... still, who are you to point the finger and talk down to a human being (who is complex) based on one or two facts??? Just proclaim that they happen to be running their business in an irresponsible way, that they will probably pay for it, and maybe that you hope they get caught for the sake of justice. Leave it at that.

Basically, what I am saying is calling someone a scrub means nothing. It is a vague set of observations sewn together by assumptions and knee-jerk, unearned value judgments.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,898 Posts
Mr. Magpie said:
So then, what is the substance/value in labelling or defining "scrub"?

I think if people want to try and get away with some costs in their business while living risky and seemingly immoral/unethical, that is their prerogative. I could not hope to fill a position in which I could stand and make a value statement about them. The only difference is how they are perceived by others, and how others perceive those risks and moral codes.

Of course, another difference could be residing behind bars or living as a citizen..... still, who are you to point the finger and talk down to a human being (who is complex) based on one or two facts??? Just proclaim that they happen to be running their business in an irresponsible way, that they will probably pay for it, and maybe that you hope they get caught for the sake of justice. Leave it at that.

Basically, what I am saying is calling someone a scrub means nothing. It is a vague set of observations sewn together by assumptions and knee-jerk, unearned value judgments.
You saved me the trouble. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
topsites said:
David Dell started out selling computers out of the trunk of his car.
Would you have laughed? (it is actually kinda funny)

(i think i got the 1st name right, anyway, you know the dell corporation).

Things like these make me think twice anymore, the guy I laugh at today could be the next large outfit owner.
Actually it's Michael Dell, and he is also a college drop-out. He was running the computer business from his dorm room, and when the orders and the money started to overwhelm that operation and space, he left school and hasn't had to look back since. Those that went with him on this little risky venture are called "Dellionaires" in the Austin area, and there are quite a few of them. And Michael built the family a new home on the West side of Austin a few years ago- to the tune of $25 million, but I think that included the security system and electric gates.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,112 Posts
I feel that labeling people and useing derogatory names for people who are out there trying to support their families and make a living is not a neccesary or positive thing .
Who are we to judge others because they have less than we do?Even if they dig their own holes for themselves and get buried,that's not a concern of mine.
If someone has the moxy to get out there and work and stay off welfare and other programs that I pay for with taxes...I say go for it!
So what? those type of people and those kind of businesses have always and will always be around,and lots of them.Some will improve and learn and do well and some will not.No way they can compete with me .Not even an issue with me anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
topsites said:
David Dell started out selling computers out of the trunk of his car.
Would you have laughed? (it is actually kinda funny)

(i think i got the 1st name right, anyway, you know the dell corporation).

Things like these make me think twice anymore, the guy I laugh at today could be the next large outfit owner.
It's Michael not David and he started his business in his dorm room...not the trunk of his car. Some also believe that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak started Apple in a VW micro bus. Jobs sold his VW to help finance the company and they worked out of his garage until the company got off the ground. I guess the corporate types might have called these guys scrubs at one time. Now they just call them Billionaires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
always good for a laugh at the end of a long hot day :D Older than dirt is probably like a lawn service my sister had in Connecticut. She called them the Rough Riders because their quality of work was so poor because their mowers bounced over the lawn from the speed they were going. They had the big pickups, deck mowers and all the paraphenalia of a "real" lawn service
and they still managed to run over a seedling ornamental she clearly had staked and marked.
We operate within the law and have all insurance and licenses required by our state but we choose to stay small and keep the quality of our work high and our prices reasonable. Not going to waste anymore time in this foolish little pissing contest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
ALarsh said:
If Mr.Dell was selling computers out of his car, then yes he was a scrub. Is he a scrub now? No.
I dont think this makes him a scrub at all. It may mean he had the inteligence and drive it would take to someday be an industry leader, but at the time did not have the money to compete with the big boys of IBM ect.

Did you have every piece of equipment the day you went into business that you do today? I doubt it. I would venture to say you worked hard with little then compared to what you have today to try and ghrow your customer base and reputation as a GOOD provider.

Shawn
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top