So seperate pump motor IS better......???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ARN Greencare, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:13 AM.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Neither setup is superior. The performance and reliability comes down to the design and application.

Tell me why a hose delivering fluid is more effective than a machined channel?

It isn't.

And that's the only real difference.

2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

I be convinced when an FW hits 6k. I got near 8k on a 20yr old Viking w/only problem a torn reservoir gasket. $5.

3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Vey well could be wrong but from what I see is on the integrated system doing a filter an fluid change all fluid is replaced. On a separate wheel an motor system looks like at best you will only switch out half of the hydro fluid?

4. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

You make a good point, however, any self contained system is going to be inherently more reliable than a system with additional hoses, crimped fittings, and more connection points. If hydraulic connection points can leak, dirt can clearly also enter at the same point. Hoses also dry rot, break down, etc. I prefer the integrated systems for those reasons.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same opinion on reliability but don't consider them superior because there's not always space for them.

"There's no replacement for displacement" is more relevant with hydraulics than combustion engines imo. Sometimes you need a big pump and motor and there just isn't room for it all right at the wheel. Overloading is a major factor in failure rates and an underpowered integrated unit will fail more often than a good sized pump and motor.

ARN Greencare and Bumpmaster like this.
  6. Bumpmaster

Dealer personally called me after had aboot 200 hours on integrated system. He said time for you to buy filters an oil son. Not knowing if it was a sales pitch or not from Toro, figured would buy anyways.

7. Bumpmaster

BTW this is after years of having separates systems an his head mechanic said only time to worry aboot filters an fluid is when something goes terribly wrong.

8. OP
    OP
    ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I am seeing in my shop. The same weight machines are riding on intergrated systems that have smaller components, less total oil capacity, and less cooling than their separate pump/motor siblings. One of the techs at Grasshopper told me during a conversion that the 3400 is not durable enough for a full commercial zero turn. This is noteworthy cause Grasshopper puts more strain on their drives than most other manufactures due to their line of attachments.

This "fewer leak points" line is hogwash. High pressure hydraulic hoses are pretty tough. Shaft seals will give problems before the hoses will in most cases. And they all have shaft seals of some sort.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Manufacturers probably like integrated systems since it takes less labor to install them when building mowers. Have heard they were less expensive also.

ARN Greencare and Ridin' Green like this.
  10. Brucey

Brucey LawnSite Member

The manual may indicate the initial change earlier than the regular intervals, to presumably get any machining residue etc out

Bumpmaster likes this.