So this is how my days are averaging out

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Advance_lawn_care, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member

From the moment I start mowing to the moment I get home I usually average $52.50 and hour gross. I see that number frequently.

I know i can make that number go higher mainly thru bidding. Tightened up operations and my equipment is efficient. I'm growing from 1 day to 3 days a week so the flood of clients are mostly decent payers and not the high pay clients i want at this point but is what it is.

So...$52.50 an hour gross, am I near the peak of gross earning on a mowing only operation? If not whats the peak.
    Thanks for any input.

Edit
    I'm just wondering how i compare against established companies on here as I am. Will give me an idea how much room there is to improve.

My only 2 methods of imrpoving are better (less drive time) routes and bid higher. But I'm wondering how far off I am from everyone else so ill wait until I see where everyone else is at before I ramble more.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Windshield time kills me, as I live 30 minutes from most of my accounts. So tack 1 hr on to the route. My best was 3 small lawns in town $100 hr. But that's rare and only lasted 3 weeks, temporary lawn.

Cam15 and weeze like this.
  3. weeze

weeze Banned

i generally drive 35-60 miles a day. everything is spread out here.

Cam15 and Greencuts518 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

50 miles a day usually for me. I live very centrally located to my work and things aren't really that spread out here. We have 3 sides to our town and I havent got the right clients switched over to the right days yet to cut drive time.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Nodody is making fun of my gross hourly so I guess I'm not to far out of line for a mowing only operations....

Cam15 likes this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

$80 per hour is probably about the highest one could average. But that is if all of the stars line up.

One thing you might do if track your per hour rate without taking into account drive time. From your initial post it would seem you are doing a good job.

agm, That Guy Gary and Cam15 like this.
  7. weeze

weeze Banned

typical gross here is $50-$60 per hr.

8. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

I attempt to make $1 a minute onsite and do most of the time. I'm working towards building in an additional $5 for drive time. Like one job i did today I get $95 but it takes me 85 minutes to do the job. Another job today I get $30 and it takes about 20 minutes. Its the average of those good account vs my ok vs my not so great accounts that have down to $52. I can live at $52. But want to work my way to $60 if possible. Can work less if i do.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

During the early spring season I average around $70. When the grass slows down but there is still enough to cut I am closer to $90 on my "full" days. Days where I pick up stragglers are much lower.

MattZ28 likes this.
  10. weeze

weeze Banned

that's just how it goes. there's some you make lots of profit on and others you barely scrape by. i guess it all evens out in the end.