1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

So what are you going to do if you catch covid?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Advance_lawn_care, Apr 6, 2020.

1. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

should of added if that happened I would have to find somewhere to quarantine. Hoping for the best as I am keeping distance

hort101 likes this.
  2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

If you catch it your kinda forced to self isolation for the next couple weeks. Not much work you can do as a solo infected person. Have a friend or sub fill in for those weeks would be your only option.

3. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member
    from AR

Several people at my wife's office are confirmed. Had some co workers catch it and not tell anyone they had fevers and just showed up to work as usual, never got tested. Shortly after 2 people tested positive and climbing.

I have 3 close friends in the business I can trust with my accounts. They said they would try and help me carry the load.

Sucks...not really concerned about the money, I have enough residual coming in from rentals that I dont really have to mow. Only issue is repairs or if some one moves out then I need a little extra. I have one empty right now and one struggling due to unemployment issues and other factors but the rest are paying as usual. Have maybe 3 to 6 months of wages on hand. I just dont want to have to start over on my client list. Mowing is the difference between being tight on funds and knowing we are good. Quit my day job last year and had just started making more with lawns than when I was working there. Everything had just hit the tipping point where it had come together and I was getting higher paying high end good clients.....

Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.
  4. hedgehog_MI

hedgehog_MI LawnSite Senior Member

I am a little confused. Initially it sounded like you were asking a hypothetical; but am I to understand you are tested positive? I don't understand why you need your friends to mow for you

5. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

from AR

I never stated hypothetical or actual. I just posed the situation as to how each individual would react. As of now I'm not tested, my exposure is thru my wife and her office. She will know in 3 to 5 days. I'm holding off on testing until I know I'm exposed. I am self quarantining until I know whether or not I'm exposed.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ok
    I mean
    I’m not trying to be a pain in the tuckus but..
    IF you got tested and are positive for corona virus that means you were feeling sick enough to go to a hospital AND convince a doctor you’re sick enough to get tested (many people are told to just go home and sleep it off- still)
    So that means you’re highly likely to be feeling pretty sick in the first place , and those that are sick enough aren’t going to be well enough TO work.
    Of those that got tested positive for some odd Ball reason and aren’t that sick?
    You’re still under doctors orders to QUARANTINE for 14 days.
    There’s a BIG difference between quarantine and Social distancing.

so basically if you’re actually positive with it... you’re staying home and not working (if you’re not in the hospital shortly)

for most of the rest of us, we will probably never know we had it in the first place so there would be no reason to change our current behavior.

testing positive for it changed EVERYTHING- even tho there are tons more of us that are contagious anyway.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

from AR

I think its like aids, once you know, your responsible. I sure there are many who have it and are spreading it without knowing. But because it can be tied directly to someone in my house I have to treat it seriously until confirmed...

8. hedgehog_MI

hedgehog_MI LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I'm a bit clearer now. Good on you to foresake your livelyhood for the time being until you know you are clear to go or no. No consolation but here's an attaboy for being proactive and cautious.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

What if you're pretty sure you had it in December or January and did none of the above?

10. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

from AR

Oh its very possible we had it 2 weeks ago and didnt know. However then my wife went to the doctor and they said we it wasnt covid because she didnt have a fever and didnt test her. We did everything we were supposed to do. Difference now is we show symptoms and have confirmed exposure putting us in a different group requiring testing and extra caution.

Believe me, I'm looking for a loop hole to make it safe for others and for me to work. Part of the reason I asked here and asked my friends locally what they would do.

Last thing I wanna do is shut down operations for no reason. However I think over all opinion is this is what I should. Also from a legal perspective I'm not sure I have a choice either.

I'm asking people who arent in my shoes because I'm biased to keep working for obvious reasons.

hort101 likes this.