So what are you going to do if you catch covid?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Advance_lawn_care, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Back in January, I was sicker than I've been since I had 1/3 of my lung removed. Dry cough, headache, fever (never took it) but I spent 1.5 hours in our bathroom with the heater on and covered in blankets, still wasn't warm. My wife just about died when she walked in.

I'd love to get the antibody test just to know one way or the other, but I'm not going to worry about it.

hort101, Mdirrigation and Cam15 like this.
  2. Brucey

Brucey LawnSite Member

If your wife was exposed to someone that was infected, and you live with her, then you really need to wait at home for 14 days to see if you're both symptom free.

3. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need to be in contact with your doctor to find out if you should be tested due to wife's potential exposure, and rely on your doctor's advice regarding precautions to take while awaiting results and precautions if the test comes back positive.

hort101 likes this.
  4. RLeClair

RLeClair LawnSite Member

I operate mostly in W. St. Louis county. I do full service for a small clientele base, but one that spends lots of money with me. I realize that if covid took me out, it would put me out of business if I didn''t have a plan. When you're in/near the city, it is so competitive that finding clientele is a slow process, and having to rebuild clientele after being sick would never happen quick enough to satisfy my creditors. So I have other companies (friends) that would temporarily take over my lawn and gardening route in a worst case scenario. Other services would be suspended.

My biggest struggle is trying to procure plant material for installations. The nurseries have shutdown and are only fulfill online orders for curbside pickup. I am not comfortable designing and ordering plant material for a 3k-6k install when I can't see what I am buying, especially when a lot of what I'm doing deals with natives. For now, I am suspending a good portion of my installs until the nurseries reopen.

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member
    from AR

Yea, I'm calling everyone from now to Thursday. Supposedly I should hear something Thursday, I went in and got tested today. Most are cool with waiting. 2 so far said they want my friend to come and take care of it. Going to go ahead ahead and file for unemployment just in case. Most of them said thanks for doing the right thing...

hort101 likes this.
  6. hedgehog_MI

hedgehog_MI LawnSite Senior Member

Don't you have like 14-21-28 days or something to file since your last day of work? Once your state unemplyment agency opens a file on you it might be a little sticky to then say why you claimed you were unemployed and now say you were not unemployed at the date you previously claimed.

7. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member
    from AR

So heres the update. Department of health just called. Told us the whole house hold is under quarantine for 2 weeks. I'm going to look into unemployment tomorrow, I would rather have it and not need it. Back to work on the 17th is the best case scenario at this point. If anyone in my house tests positive who knows how long I'm out for....

This is going to be hard for me even with my rental properties...I feel for everyone out there, if I didnt have the rentals I'd be completely screwed.....

AlohaMowing and hort101 like this.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I think alot of people have already had the mess, thats likley why California hasnt been hit like New York. And China is open for business.

I guess if I got the virus Id sleep for 2 weeks.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be wiping my butt with TP....