Soaker hoses/drip irrigation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Primecut2014, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Primecut2014

Primecut2014 LawnSite Member

So I've been in business for about 5 years and started getting into landscape design last year. Drawing up a design, installing etc. This year it has really taken off, I've just been using those pulsator sprinklers because I've been able to get away with it last year for what I was doing. Now I have complete new landscaping and large or long beds and I'm trying to find a better solution for watering the plants. Any thoughts? I've been doing a lot of research on soaker hoses and drip irrigation but I'd like to hear some opinions and what you use. Thank you.

2. Lscpr99

Lscpr99 LawnSite Member

I've done work with both drip and soaker hoses. They're really great and easy to install. Drip hoses are really the most efficient with no water loss.

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Drip takes a little more "engineering", but if you use the right components, you will get the best results from drip.

4. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Primecut is probably long gone since he only had one post. What I've usually done is purchased several soaker hoses left them buried under the mulch. And short solid hose to cross sidewalks at a step if trip hazard can be avoided. Then auto timers at the faucet. It's a less than ideal solution but it keeps the plants alive.
    Customers have to be educated about disconnecting hoses in the winter, they don't understand how faucets can freeze.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Jeff Merritt

Jeff Merritt LawnSite Member

We have been installing drip irrigation systems in a lot of jobs ( especially commercial jobs) They are great for helping maintain the plants but have to be monitored well if they are hooked up to irrigation timers. The set time they run and the frequency of run times have to monitored closely especially on newly planted plants. Also once installed the owner needs to be briefed on checking the system to make sure it is operating properly. We have had instances where the on staff maintenance workers mess with the timers and then one zone gets too much water and another zone might not get enough water. This can turn out to be a problem especially in beds with smaller plants such as perennials. If they die then we have to replace them since they are usually under warranty. As long as they work properly and the customer is willing to spend the extra money on drip they are a great asset for keeping plants growing good.

hort101 and zlandman like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Primecut2014

Primecut2014 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, appreciate all the feedback. Since I posted that, I've done a lot of installs and been using the rain bird drip irrigation on every job and hooked up to timers. Been working great, love it!

rlitman and hort101 like this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

thanks for the update
    keep the updates comingThumbs UpThumbs Up