1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer field repair

Discussion in 'Sports Field Maintenance' started by John Leber, May 24, 2019.

1. John Leber

John Leber LawnSite Member

I am the varsity coach at a local high school in St. Louis MISSOURI area. Our field is to the point of total neglect. Last year most of the field was covered in crabgrass with a few weeds and some fescue. This year the field is patchy but filled in with some weed growth. When we pass the ball it bounces and changes direction because of the uneven surface

The school tells me they are going to Aireate and seed in July. Seems to me much more needs to be done. Shouldn’t we start with a level surface? These are the same people who have taken care of the field in previous years. Not much faith. Help! Coach

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not am expert here but from the way it sounds if they are going to aerate to level it, it will take years to see any results. Putting seed down in July will not have a chance unless you get a lot of rain or have irrigation.I think you might want to wait until the fall and topdress and seed it with some fescue developed for the sports turf industry. Is their any parent associations still in highschool sports? It sounds like you are going to need to raise money in order to get any thing done as well as need some labor to make things better. In the town where I'm from, the baseball little league spends the weekend before the season starts by raking the fields and getting things ready. Some pictures will help as well.

3. OP
    OP
    John Leber

62BF8C7B-AFC6-48F4-B9C8-67BE1B91F519.jpeg

33570B64-206E-4F37-A5D4-4637C74D4D02.jpeg

AF48B670-72F5-4ED1-9C2A-06191A5C9161.jpeg

4. OP
    OP
    John Leber

A few pictures of our field

5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should be thinking about getting some body to spray it for crabgrass. You've got a good base of fescue to work with. You would want to be finding the window for spraying and find out how much time you should keep every one off it after spraying. Has it been aerated in the past?

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

School ball fields get so much abuse and hardly any maintenance. They want to seed in the middle of summer and be ready for play on Oct 1. In the OPs case on a sandy soiled, non-irrigated piece of junk. I wish i could help you but i can't.

In the picture, i see another another field with what looks like dormant Bermuda, that's the way to go in Missouri. Bermuda grass is a top notch sports surface. But i'm sure it would cost a lot to get to that point. Good luck. AF48B670-72F5-4ED1-9C2A-06191A5C9161.jpeg

hal likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Consider yourself lucky to HAVE a field

8. Dandan111

Dandan111 LawnSite Senior Member

Coaches always want the sky’s limit. Not saying you do but you may not be taken seriously. Field looks like it needs help. Aeration might loosen it up pretty good but the soil may not be in good shape. You need soil samples. Planting in July sounds like a bad plan.

9. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda would be the way to go there. Overseed with rye in the fall.

If there is some Bermuda there now, I can’t tell really, I would remove clumpy cool season grass and aerate/ top Dress/ fertilize heavily and put it on a watering schedule. Even if it means dragging hoses and sprinklers.

It will have to be worked around your playing season. Work needs to be done for sure.

kemco likes this.
  10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

If you just kept people off of that field for 8-12 months, drug some hoses and didn't skimp on the N you could have a decent patch of Bermuda. All the raw material is growing a few feet away.