SOCCER FIELD TOP DRESSING--Price?

Discussion in 'Sports Field Maintenance' started by Bob E G, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

We just recently completely the top dressing of a soccer field: 120 yd x 80 yds.
    Material used was washed mason sand--30 cu yds. $755.00 cost.

(3) Machines Used for about 6 1/2 hours--tractor w/ top dresser and skid steer to load.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT TO CHARGE? I know in my mind what I would charge, but this is our first field, and would like to see if I'm in the ballpark. Thanks

2. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

are you aerating first? and then removing plugs?

3. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

we charge $0.25/ sq ft and why mason sand? why not river sand mixed with some mycor

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Silver Member

I don't like answering this kind of thing but will say $1,825-$2,190 including the price of the sand.

How did it come out? Looks like you had enough to get over it all at just under 1/8"? Did you drag it in?

5. foreplease

So $21,600?

6. OP
    OP
    Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

This is a 40 acre complex. They had one field that they wanted us to experiment on with top dressing.

We first aerifed the field. Then top dressed. Then overseeded. Then dragged. Came out very nice.

Yes. It was 1/8" +/- = 30 yds.

I WANTED TO SEE IF I COULD GET AN IDEA ON PRICE--JUST FOR THE TOP DRESSING ( even though we performed the other work as well).

The material was specifed by a local golf course architect.

7. roccon31

roccon31 LawnSite Member

~2500.00, give or take for dressing
    ~5000.00, for aerate, overseed, LIGHT starter fert, topdress

8. OP
    OP
    Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

Thanks to all who responded. Your ideas really helped me outhttp://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

9. foreplease

What did you think the job was worth?

I like washed mason sand with some OM cut in. It has a little more body than straight sand and, I think, enhances germination. Depends on what soil it is going over. It's sometimes difficult to convince places that once they start a topdressing program they need to keep doing it. Sounds like you are in a fairly progressive park.

It is awful warm here right now to aerate, overseed, or topdress.

10. OP
    OP
    Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

I was thinking about $16xx-$17xx. I'm glad you through a price out there. I think I'm going a little higher.

The park pays an architect firm to advise them. This company is good. They have been doing athletic fields for a long time. They do construction, maintenance, etc. And they suggested mason sand. I was going to do a mix also--leaf compost. And it would be lighter and easier on my older top dresser. But they wanted straight mason. Clay fields, very little top soil. I've read about fields being turned into concrete by using the wrong material--depends on the base--you agree?

Yesterday, he told me we should try it on another field. I said "well, ok then".

This was done weeks ago. Warm here too--97 yesterday.

Thanks again for your input! By the way, do you do any deep tine aeration? If so, what kind of results? Thanks