1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

sod and topsoil estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Andrews Lawn, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants an estimate on some topsoil and sod installation where his yard is not level from the initial grading during construction of the house. I need to put on average, about 6" of topsoil to fill it up and then lay sod but I've never done a job like this. Here are the numbers on the job:

15'x20' area that will need need on an average of 6 inches of topsoil - approx. 4.5-5 yards

30 rolls of sod
    Probably can be all done in one long day, 12hrs.
    I have to rent a sodcutter for 2hrs.

What would all of you charge for this? Even if you can give me a rough estimate it would be greatly appreciated. Also, how much in materials would you have on this job.

One last thing: This may sound like a really dumb question but has anybody reused sod that has been cut out to fill in a low spot? the grass is in great condition in my situation.

2. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

Andrew,

There is a good website for estimating the amount needed

http://www.atstecks.com/topsoil.htm

It comes up pretty good at about 6 yards

As far as laying the sod in 1 day, I would probably break it up into 2 days just in case you run into any problems if you have the availabiltiy in your schedule or a day and a half to be safe

Pete

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

My Bid:

1. (6) yards of topsoil installed and graded out. = 6 @ $75.00 =$450.00

2. (30) rolls of sod or 300 sq.ft installed = .55 /sq ft. @ 300 sq.ft
    =$165.00

Total =roughly $615.00 - I'd mark it up to about $675.00 due to hidden costs, etc.

*(3-4) hrs work tops @ 2 men.

- I would skim the existing grass, if you don't have a Bobcat, then don't even bother removing the old grass.