1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sod cutter on plow blade.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Our local DW dealer sells a special blade/cutter for existing lawns. I cannot find it on the DW website.

We have been using a regular blade for grass lawns and it rips it up more than I like. It has been recommended that we use a sod blade. I am looking for more info on it. Specs, photos, etc.. Personal experience as well.

John:usflag:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What plow do you have?

We have a sod cutter (looks like a pizza cutter) wheel on our 410. It does a nice job.

You can also use a D handled spade and a laborer to cut the sod as you plow.

3. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Like Jon we have a pizza cutter wheel's on our 410's and LM42's

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The special blade might be a 'turf shark' - they include extra material, so that a downward-slanted edge is contacting the turf.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Oops.

We have a 255sx. I have seen the attachment. It has a cutter wheel and a couple of pads on either side to push the sod back down. I don't remember if it was a completely different blade or if it attached to an existing blade.

Thanks,

John

6. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Take the pads off , They only make a mess. When your pulling just keep a eye on the cutting wheel, make sure it's a 1in. or so in the ground. Allso make sure your pulling blade is not square on the top , grind it to a V. I was useing a blade this week that was square up top and it pull's alot of dirt out.