1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Sod Install Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnsM, Jan 9, 2008.

1. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Hi everyone!
    Feels great to return to this awesome board for another great season. Someone is already calling in wanting a sod installation job done for March. I've never done this before, but I'm going to give it a shot. Some of my questions are: What is the going rate? What equipment do I use for gorund prep? How long does installation take? I read a post back in November and someone mentioned using sand instead of tilling??? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. THANKS GUYS!

2. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Well what are the site conditions like? How much sod is it going to be? How close is your supplier? That is a little of the information that I need to know before I can help you. And no don't bring in sand.

3. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

The yard is a bare lot in a newly established neighborhood. The whole lot (including large house & pool) is under 22,000 sq. ft. Few weeds and some rocks in the lot. Sod for me is $100 per pallet. My supplier will give me free delivery.

4. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Just Curious... Why is sand a bad idea? Thanks!:)

5. AceFinish

Sand is a bad idea because it drains fast and when you put down new sod you want that area to stay fairly wet until the sod is established. I would use a harley rake on a skid steer or tractor. Or you could use a pulviser on a tractor to grade it out. Over here we get about 27 cents a square foot installed plus grading.

6. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

THe soil, just like all newly established neighborhoods, is very hard and clay-like. Should I add any kind of organic matter to the soil to aid rooting? This option involves more cost though. What is your opinion?

7. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Also, what is your grading charge? THanks a bunch Ace. You've been very helpful.

8. AceFinish

You don't have to if you are going to though just put down like a 1 inch layer of black dirt. I just would just put down a 13-13-13 fertilizer before you lay the sod but after the grading.

9. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Thanks again AceFinish! Any one else care to share what they charge for sod installation?

10. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Also, I was curious if anyone one here rolls the sod after is has been placed. Everything I have read says to roll the sod to prevent air pockets that might prevent sod from rooting. Is this a necessary step?