1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sod installation with Toro Dingo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by OEY3, May 15, 2008.

1. OEY3

OEY3 LawnSite Member

Wish I could get more info on the sod unroller and the installation / operation procedure. Should 66,000 sqft, (yes, 1 1/2 acres) alone with my dingo 222 wheeled unit create cause for hesitation since I have no experience with laying sod with my dingo?

All open flat ground. Prep will be complete on this job. All I have to do is lay sod. I fear potential finish grade disruption with narrow wheelbase on Toro. I want to be sure it is as easy as just unrolling the sod and some minor fitting into place.

I work by myself and I don't want to take forever to complete this.

Have looked at the W.R. Long unit and also see that Vermeer has Hydraulic one for $2236 + tax and freight. Vermeer has optional weighted roller for their unit after sod is down. I have also seen units with pressure relief as to avoid excessive pressure when unrolling sod.

Potential for major coin in my case so the more info I have the better I'll feel.
    I really must discuss this with someone before I commit.

Hope to hear from you Dingo owners.

2. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Once....back in the day, I used a bobcat with forks on the front, I used that to position the roll, then I put a 2x4 throught the middle, and dragged it with my ztr, to ubroll it. It worked but there was still alot of adjusting after it was unrolled