1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Sod or seed: What's cheaper?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by LawnGuy35, Mar 14, 2020.

1. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

For those who have installed new turf to areas of a few hundred square feet, do you find it cheaper to use seed or sod? Customer wants to convert a landscape bed to turf, and it's roughly 200 square feet. Their words: "Don't care if it's seed or sod, but prefer the cheapest of the two."

I know I'll need to till the soil and add a little, but curious what those who have done it find to be the cheapest (and easiest) route?

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

A pallet of sod(covers 500+/-sqft) runs $165. A 40 bag of fescue seed(covers 5ksqft) runs $80-$100. Need to prep the soil and apply a fertilizer either way.

No gloves likes this.
  3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Silver Member

seed for cheap longer term results / sod for more expensive instant results.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Sod is $375 a pallet here plus tax.

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Cheapest will go to seed every time. Unless you score some deal on sod. Now for 200sqft with a spring project I would go sod every time if I had the choice. In fact I prefer sod over seed just cause when I leave I know it's installed and the sod is good.

6. falzoneslawncare

falzoneslawncare LawnSite Member

a short drive to the sod farm will cost me 100 per pallet, they pull wile you wait. i call ahead for large jobs and its installed the same day.

7. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

Seed is cheaper, and creates a more robust and ultimately better looking lawn in the long run. A $20 bag of premium seed with fert already mixed in would cover that area, but you might have to seed it twice to get it thick

Sod is instant and only takes one time to set up, but it costs more. Sod ends up looking like poo around her after a while. Especially blue grass, which is the only sod I can get whenever I want

ChicagoLawn likes this.
  8. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you located?

What type of grass?

I also never seed in the Spring because it won’t survive the heat.

I would sod that area.