• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

Sod pricing

hamsandwch

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, I’m getting a Lot of sod estimates this month. So far I’ve been pricing about $1.16 per sq ft. I’m in southern Nc, where a regular 20 minute lawn goes for $45, a yard of mulch $90 with mulch, and employees are getting about $120 a day. I say it’s an okay market, I still get work even when I charge about $90-$110 an hour for 3 ppl. I can get away with this price here since the big guys are busy with builders and contractors . They leave small jobs where I can definitely make a killing. I’m not sure if that’s too low or high. I just want to know if I’m in the ball park. How much more should I charge for topsoil? If it’s easy access I usually charge $120 a yard. I’m just a bit insecure about my rates. Any comments are greatly appreciated

OP
hamsandwch

hamsandwch

LawnSite Member
Does that include the prep work? If so, that sounds about right to me. I an in SC and most of your mowing prices sound close to mine.
light prep work. If there is topsoil I try to add .30 a sq ft. Im not too sure about breaking ground though, I usually price that hourly. I wouldn’t know how to charge that per square ft.
So I would do $1.46 without removing existing sod included. Would that sounds about right?

nclawnsrus

LawnSite Member
Western triad NC. I charge $5/sqft with prep (cool season grass). 135/yd base rate for mulch. Top soil, 150/yd base rate. Paying employees $16/hr, trying to get my route so tight that I can pay $30/hr for 5 year employees. Also working on benefits. I assume you have very low overhead if your only charging $110/hr for 3 guys. My man hour rate is $85/hr so I would be at $255/hr. Once gas hits $3, 15% price increases across the board. It's all about selling your BRAND not your services. Good luck, lets rock this season!

nclawnsrus

LawnSite Member
Im also considering doing a base salary of $17,000-$20,000 year round, then $4/hr on site, with the condition that they can't get another job over the summer and they are always "on call." Not sure of the legality of this however.... just in the dreaming stage right now. I just want my guys to have a year round steady income.

OP
hamsandwch

hamsandwch

LawnSite Member
Western triad NC. I charge $5/sqft with prep (cool season grass). 135/yd base rate for mulch. Top soil, 150/yd base rate. Paying employees $16/hr, trying to get my route so tight that I can pay $30/hr for 5 year employees. Also working on benefits. I assume you have very low overhead if your only charging $110/hr for 3 guys. My man hour rate is $85/hr so I would be at $255/hr. Once gas hits $3, 15% price increases across the board. It's all about selling your BRAND not your services. Good luck, lets rock this season!
Woah
$5 includes materials, and labor?

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Well, actually the different types of grass makes a difference. Mine would be warm season grasses and they vary in price a lot based on grass type. I would say on average our sod is about $185-200 per pallet with delivery. Funny though I have been in this business long enough to remember when Bermuda was $85 per pallet plus delivery and Centipede was about $105 or $110 per pallet (shew long time ago) I don't really figure per sq ft, I just price it per pallet plus what I want to lay the sod. And of course extra for prep work. So on average, I would probably install a pallet of between 450-500 sq ft of grass for $175/pallet. and probably charge $250 for prep for about the same 500 sq ft. So, about $600 on average here for a pallet with labor and basic prep.
If it is anything less than a full pallet, I don't give much of a break, as then we are getting into a minimum charge for showing up and still having to do prep etc.

nclawnsrus

LawnSite Member
Well, actually the different types of grass makes a difference. Mine would be warm season grasses and they vary in price a lot based on grass type. I would say on average our sod is about $185-200 per pallet with delivery. Funny though I have been in this business long enough to remember when Bermuda was $85 per pallet plus delivery and Centipede was about $105 or $110 per pallet (shew long time ago) I don't really figure per sq ft, I just price it per pallet plus what I want to lay the sod. And of course extra for prep work. So on average, I would probably install a pallet of between 450-500 sq ft of grass for $175/pallet. and probably charge $250 for prep for about the same 500 sq ft. So, about $600 on average here for a pallet with labor and basic prep.
If it is anything less than a full pallet, I don't give much of a break, as then we are getting into a minimum charge for showing up and still having to do prep etc.
Minimum charges are a game changer, even if I had time to do little $200 landscaping jobs, they still really aren't worth my time when taking in account for estimating, billing etc... a TTTF & KBG pallet is $450 delivered for roughly 600 sq ft. I would dream of $200 a pallet.

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Minimum charges are a game changer, even if I had time to do little $200 landscaping jobs, they still really aren't worth my time when taking in account for estimating, billing etc... a TTTF & KBG pallet is $450 delivered for roughly 600 sq ft. I would dream of $200 a pallet.
Wow, that is expensive sod. I think St. Augistine is a little over $200 per pallet delivered but that is the most expensive sod we have if I remember correctly. I may do a smaller job if it is a customer I already service for, but still, it's not worth the headache of lining it all up even for one pallet to me. My price for labor may go a little less than $175 as the number of pallets increase. I still think I profit the most on prep as usually the grass is thin anyway or they wouldn't need sod, so I usually have very little to rake out and dispose of. I can get that part done really quickly. $600 may be a little high, but again if it was one pallet it isn't high.5-10 pallets makes it a little more worth while and also easier to give a little price break.