1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sod question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NewHorizon's Land, Apr 17, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

First let me say I am not asking for a price. I AM asking is how long does it take to lay sod after the ground has been prepared? The lawn I am pricing has a fair amount of trees but I can figure all that out. I just need a basic "SQ FT per hour" from the pros.

Thanks
    Justin

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You probably will get a variety of answers on this - are you solo or do you have help ? Squares or rolls? Do you have anything to move pallets with or a sod provider who can spot the pallets where you want them? If the pallet is in the right place , I can lay a 500 sq ft pallet in less than 30 minutes - but I'm old . Younger employees work much faster :) The key is having the pallet properly positioned or the machine to move them into position.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I figure out it will take 1 man hr per pallet. this includes clean up and the extra time it takes to make it right. a pallet usually consist between 450 and 500 sqft. 45-50 rolls. Placement is the key to speed.

4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Spot placement-- yes. Solo guy using rolls

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I can lay 1 pallet (65 yds) per hour if the pallet is within 10-15 ft of where the sod is being laid. Add 5-10 minutes per pallet for trimming.