1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Sod removal question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Pinehilllandscaping, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Pinehilllandscaping

Pinehilllandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to remove a 15' X 63' area of sod on a hill side and install a new bed and mulch everything in. I have never removed such a big area of sod and I'm not sure what to charge him for the removal. I can get a sod cutter for $90/day. About how many man hours should it take to remove the sod and haul it away? Or should I charge by the square ft? This will be with myself and one helper. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

15x63 can be cut in about an hour give or take a few minutes. But thats the easy part. Go about every 10-15 feet cut it, then roll it. By yourself it will take several hours, a few helpers and then it won't be bad. Personally, I like the to just till the new area up and rake out all the grass. I pulled up the sod where our new 80 x 30 shop is to save the grass, I'll never do that again.

3. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

I've done it! you better figure on 2 guys at 6 hours the sod cutter cuts like mad, it's actually kinda fun , but the roll up..... not so fun. I hope you have a loader to put the sod in ? if not you better add a few more hours, also where will you put the sod?

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't roll up sod on a demolition - just set the sod cutter shallow where it doesnt pick up much soil , then rake the grass into piles for removal . I use the Dingo to do this , which is much more efficient , but even raking and hauling in a wheelbarrow could be accomplished in a half day with a two man crew. The key is the depth setting on the sod cutter. If you just 'slice off' the turf , it leaves a relatively smooth surface that doesn't need much prep to plant and mulch and saves a ton of hard work . I consider the sod cutter as a demolition tool only - the other guys are correct , it is back breaking work to cut and roll . Sod is too inexpensive to ever cut and roll to save the existing grass.