sod removal tool

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Shar, May 30, 2004.

  1. Shar

    Shar LawnSite Member
    Messages: 1

    sod removal tool Help!!
    I am looking for a tool that I saw someone on televison use, that when you want to remove the "top surface" of the lawn, you push this tool along.
    I need to find out what is the name of this tool called?
    I want to remove a large amount to put in an above ground pool before putting down the sand.
    If anyone knows please let me know.
    Thanks a million!:rolleyes: :blob4:
  2. Lombardi

    Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 538

    It's called a "kicker". But, save yourself a lot of time and rent a self-propelled sodcutter. You can cut the sod for the pool in about 10 minutes as opposed to about an hour with the kicker. Very well worth the $40.00 rental fee.
  3. mowhigh

    mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas
    Messages: 198

    I think you can find the handtool (Lombardi is right, it's a lot of work) you're describing at It will allow you to roll up the sod manually for subsequent replacement or relocation. If it is desirable turf, plan on using it to replace less desirable areas (with twice the work!). Good luck...

Share This Page