Sod vs. Seed CT Shoreline

nycwil

LawnSite Member
I have two locations in Madison CT that need new lawns. One is right on the water and the other is close. Both lawns were destroyed by hurricane Irene. Is it better to sod or seed with locations like this that might get hit by salt water? Are there any pros in the area who might be interested in the jobs? Very concerned with proper soil prep prior to seed/sod. Thanks, Bill

OP
N

nycwil

LawnSite Member
Hi. I'm not sure what type of grass is best for lawns near the water, but something good for beauty and durable enough for kids to run around on, if that helps at all. Thanks

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
It doesn't matter whether you sod or seed when your talking about salt water. Salt will kill both equally. But unless your irrigating with salt water that shouldn't be a factor though. In your area, a mix of tall fescue, bluegrass and rye is best, but for the shoreline maybe they use something different. I don't know. That said, you should seed in the fall and use sod now. Do you have irrigation ? That make's a big difference when seeding or sodding. You need someone who is more local to answer your question's accurately.