1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Sodding prices?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bnl, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

I've got to price a job for roughly 22, 000 sq ft of sod to be layed. I have priced before on much smaller areas to be prepped and sodded, but never 20+ thousand sq ft. My usual price would be way up there, so I want to know what you guys think is reasonable per sq ft, or per sq yd of prep and laying. Just the price for the work, I will figure the materials cost in on top of your ideas. Thanks for any help.

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Is it for a new lawn or a renovation of an existing lawn?

3. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

New lawn. It is actually new construction.

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

For that size job I would charge rite around $2500.00 to prep and lay the sod. That is one hell of a job, hope you have at least four or five helpers for that size lawn.

5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ffor sod I charge .50 a sq ft installed with no prep work...this job is huge tho...i would price it materials plus labor and machinery then.....would get a sod layer for a bobcat and order large rolls of sod delivered to the site...that would be the fastest and most econommical way to do that job...should be anywhere from 8 to 11 grand tho

6. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I just finished one exactly that size and also new construction, all bare soil. I charged about $9000 not including dirt work.

Bryan

7. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

I would charge right around $9100.00, this includes prep & laying, delivery is not included in that price. I figure it on the basis of wholesale price times three plus delivery, plus any soil amendments needed. For that that much sod you might look into a three point hitch attachment that the sod goes on, looks like a giant toilet paper role.

8. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

How can someone lay sod and prep for .50 per square ft. $9000 sounds more like what i would charge. In GA just the sod is $65 per pallet and that is the best price around. for 20000 sq ft for just materials it is = 40 pallets * $65.00 is 2400.
    I would charge around $7000.00 for prep and lay

9. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

I get 65 roll pallets delivered for 46.50 per pallet. I just finished a 17000sqft job, but I only charged 4850.00 including the prep work. Make sure you have a good deal with your supplier of sod for that amount...it will save you a bundle

10. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

.50 cents a sq ft would be $11,000.00

Chuck